PDA

View Full Version : Need help! 6.5 TD Sub won't start!

96turboSuburban
01-21-2005, 20:42
Hi All,
My truck won't start now even with a good shot of wd-40 and plugged in for 3 hrs.
The truck is at a shop that was installing a brake controller for me and they let it get pretty cold, now the 'wait to start' light does not flash when key is turned but lift pump is on and I hear the solenoid cycling (glow plugs right?). The starter is cranking well but no fire. :( All the fuses that I know to check look good.
Anybody know what I should try to check?? :confused:
The shop is 1 hour+ away from my house so if there are no specific things I can do I'll have to look for a good diesel mechanic in or near Annapolis Maryland!! :mad:

Thanks for your suggestions!
Todd

BUZZ
01-22-2005, 04:39
When you crank does it smoke and try to start, but just can't get there? No wait to start light, sounds like fuse or ground issue or a even a bulb. Clicking under the hood sounds like the glow controller cycling. You need to verify glow operation.
I would use a test light on one of the glow plug terminals to check for voltage, during the glow cycle. IF not ok then glow controller is not working. You can use jumper cables to apply 12 volts to the glow plugs. IF your voltage at glow plugs indicates good, then you may have 1 or more gp's that are bad. You can disconnect the switch in the water pipe between the thermostat housing and engine. This is a 2 position plug. This will max the glow time and advance the pump timing and help a cold start. I would try this after I verified that the glow plugs are working.
All this assuming you have good fuel, good filter.
Good luck
Buzz

96turboSuburban
01-22-2005, 05:30
Good fuel, good filter, not trying to start at all. It cranks, white smoke out exhaust but not firing at all. :mad:
I'll check glow plug voltage and disconnect switch on water hose and try.
Thanks!
Todd

BUZZ
01-22-2005, 06:21
White smoke is indication of cold combustion.
Check the glows and keep trying. Remember not to abuse the starter. Follow starter duty cycles.
Give a rest between cranks.
Buzz
PS make sure your battery cables are tight!

96turboSuburban
01-22-2005, 06:44
Thanks Buxx.
At this point wit hthis storm coming in I'm going to have them keep block heater plugged in and look at it Mon. morning when more shops are open and I can get parts as needed.
Thanks for the tips!
Todd

MTTwister
01-22-2005, 08:25
If this condition happened in conjunction with their brake controller install - check / verify that they didn't schmedge up some wiring for you -

96turboSuburban
01-22-2005, 11:19
Twister,
Don't even think they got the stinkin install started. They had my truck 5 days and parked it in a cold place and couldn't start it!! :mad:
I just got it towed in time to a GMC dealership this Am so the diesel mech. of 15 yrs. can look at it Mon. Barely beat the storm WHEEEEEEW!!
I'll geep you guys posted on what happens. :cool:
Todd