PDA

View Full Version : My truck steers "wander"-fully!

Randee of the Redwoods
01-22-2005, 12:21
After more than a year of suffering with a steering wander that made speeds over 40mph scary, it seems I may have stumbled onto something. After successfully adjusting the steering gear unsuccessfuly did nothing(but I did reroute the block heater, clean the fan clutch and radiator while the parts were out), last night I looked into it again and found what looks like a bad rag joint. Replacement will be here next week. I sure hope this solves the problem. Since tightening up the steering gear, the steering play feels like what I saw in the excessive movement in the rag joint. I guess we'll find out next weekend.
Funny, though. I looked into my GM service manuals about the rag joint. You know, the beat all end all bibles of the vehicles? No mention of "steering coupler" in the steering section, only mention of steering shaft assembly. But, yet, the coupler IS available separetly so it IS replaceable by itself. Go figure.

patrick m.
01-22-2005, 16:18
dont overlook the Pitman arm and the idler arm, these contribute a great deal to "wanderers".

i replaced my idler arm about 2 years ago, and last week during an oil change, i noticed it is in need of replacement again.

Randee of the Redwoods
01-22-2005, 16:34
The pitman arm had been done not long after I got the truck. The ball joint in it was trashed. I thought the idler arm was bad, too, but I can't tell. I took weight off the front end and manhandled the steering links but found no play so I'm not sure on that part. It looks easy enough to access with the skid plates off so I may replace it anyway just to be sure. Plus, I have air tools now(yay!) so it will make this type of heavy work easier.
I've considered a new steering gear and pump, like the AGR pieces, but may hold off if I can get a bit more life out of the originals. The hydrobooster and oil cooler lines need changing first anyhow.

nigeljones
01-22-2005, 17:48
For what it's worth.
I had a problem with my Suburban that felt like the truck would flip out with any side ways movement of the steering wheel at 55-65 mph.

The tracking was checked out and was OK

I replaced all the steering gear and joints.
No Change

I replaced all shock absorbers
No change

It turned out to be tires.

I had a tire go bad and I had about 20,000 miles to go before total replacement. So I replaced one axle set being cheap. Because of the Firestone issue I switched brands. I had new General 550's on the Rear and Firestones on the front.
I swapped the new tires on the front with the old tires on the rear and the problem went away. redface.gif

Just a thought

patrick m.
01-22-2005, 20:31
Randee,
lift the front of the truck, grab the right front wheel and lightly turn it back and forth.

if the idler arm is bad, you will see the center link moving up and down at the idler arm, if the pitman arm is bad as well, you will see the center link moving up and down at both points.

at this point i need to replace both!
on a 4wd, this task SUCKS!
But, at nearly 200k miles, i guess i should accept it ;)

markrinker
01-23-2005, 07:11
My mechanic replaced the steering box and it still wanders. Sounds like I should print this thread and have them investigate other causes, like the rag joint.