PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical injection won`t take throttle

C.K. Piquup
08-21-2003, 20:16
My truck is a`92 6.5TDw/230,000mi.Glow-plugs,injectors,and inj.pump are original.These need replacing, I`m sure.Before I tear into it I want to get some input.It was cranking long on cold start,then smoking heavily{bluish/fuely),then running fine w/a little smoke at shift.Next it started stalling when decelorating,and at shift sometimes.Now it starts,but will only idle(cold/hi-idle)and not take any throttle.Do these all just sound like symtoms of the previous mentioned parts needing replacement?I,ve had DB2s go bad on 6.2s & they didn`t act this way,and never needed to replace injectors.Believe me,I`m happy with the service given and am ready to replace.It`s just strange to me because this is how my`95 acted when the FSD went up,and the pump is still fine.

charliepeterson
08-21-2003, 21:02
230K, WOW! You sure got your monies worth out of this truck.
Blue smoke at start sure sounds like glow plugs. Hopefully they come out. No throttle could be the governor weights sticking? Try adding some fuel conditioner. How long are you going to keep this truck? At this time it's value is worth more to you than anyone else. This engine work might set you back $1K, if you do the work your self. Injection Pump,Injectors and Plugs. Do a Compression check before opening the wallet and give the rest of the engine a good look. Lots of hidden evils can come out ounce you let the "smoke out of the bottle".

Good Luck

britannic
08-22-2003, 09:13
I can recommend Accurate Diesel for your injection pump and injectors, he can sell you a rebuilt pump for under $200.00 + core (refundable) + shipping. His website is www.cleaninjectors.com (http://www.cleaninjectors.com) and he has good reviews from some 6.2L forum members.

This is his classified advert from our very own DP:
For Sale: Rebuilt 6.2/6.5L mechanical injection pump $175 plus shipping/core. Call 231-598-1227 or write timwagner6@hotmail.com (4/14/03)

C.K. Piquup
08-23-2003, 06:07
Thanks for replies.They help confirm my ponderings.Engine still runs strong,though at present sluggish."Ya think?".The story is,I ordered the truck new(first on my block),the dealer wasn`t even aware of the"new"motor.I put 200,000 well maintained miles on it in 9yrs.Sold(gave)it to my son who put 30,000 basically unmaintained,hardmiles on it.I now find myself back in possesion of my ol`gem.She still shines(somehow).Oh yeah,I washed&waxed it May`02 when he left it with us to take a trip.Come to think of it,I put a Banks exhaut on it,too.After all,I figured a down-pipe wouldn`t provide enough back-pressure for his runs up&down I-95 @ 85-90mph.Hey,thanks for listening to a poor ol`guy`s woes.You`ve been a true friend.Don`t mind me,I`m just gonna go on and comtinue the stress-test on my good pal `92K3500srwSLE5spd4.11WoodlandGreenw/Lt.BiegeBucketseatCamper/TowingPkg