PDA

View Full Version : Block Crack in cylinder

jdmetcalf57
01-22-2005, 15:51
If you have followed my post you are aware that I have had antifreze in my oil. I have tried to get GM to work on it under warranty(97K). So far they have refused because they say changing the transmission from an auto to manual voids the warranty. However the warranty explicitly states 'damage due to alterations'.

Any way if anyone can pull some strings or help in any way to get GM to pay I would appreciate it.

Since they would not work on it I pulled the pan to find out exactly what was wrong. It has a crack running up about 2in into the #3 front cylinder wall. I pressurized the radiator and in the picture below you can see little beads of antifreze running out.

I don't see anyway that my modifications could have cracked the block in this way even though it started having problems about 2k after I changed the trans.

http://www.rapidtronics.com/thumbs/jdmetcalf57/cracksmallfile0000073.jpg

Dvldog 8793
01-22-2005, 15:59
Howdy
Sorry to hear about the block. :(
As much as I HATE to say it, I think your only recourse might be to get the court involved. Or in the least maybe get a :mad: paper-hanger :mad: to look at the situation and see if GM has a leg to stand on or if they are just trying to find an out.
I'm biased because I have had good experiences with GM. Good Luck!!!
What do think you will do to replace it?

L8r
Conley Janssen
USMC 87-93

jdmetcalf57
01-22-2005, 16:03
First try at pictures. Trying again.

http://www.rapidtronics.com/images/jdmetcalf57/crack0000073.jpg

jdmetcalf57
01-22-2005, 16:15
Dvldog

I hope I can get GM to pay. I would be satisfied if they gave me a long block and I put it in. My problem is I haven't been able to talk to anyone but the customer assistance person which doesn't speak English real well. I just want to talk to someone that knows something about the problems with these engines. I haven't even been able to talk to the area service rep because they won't give out his phone number. I think the first dealer I took it to In Evansville IN screwed me because they told the rep that I caused it and they hadn't even looked at it.

If they won't pay I am thinking about getting a Cummins and putting it in. I will probably get a little better mileage and won't have to worry about the 6.5 and the fuel injection leaving me beside the road in Colorado or Utah. (we travel a lot).

I know it will be major work but this is the best time of year for me to tackle the project. You know more time than money.

Mainous
01-22-2005, 17:27
Try this link:

http://www.amghummer.com/Diesel/No8Cyl/CrackedBlock.htm

It has a service bulletin as a part of it but it may be a Hummer bulletin. If Hummer has a bulletin, so does GM. Hopefully you will find a friendly ear.

rjschoolcraft
01-22-2005, 17:29
This is three cracked blocks discovered in the last three weeks...

I have no hope of warranty on mine. I had ~159,000 miles on this engine that was a warranty replacement in the first place, with 224,000 on the Suburban. I still think GM should be held accountable for this, but they won't be.

Keep pressing, don't give up.

Arlie
01-23-2005, 17:45
I'm curious, has anyone heard of the newer (01 and up) block cracking?

How about a block with the splayed mains?

This would be useful information for anyone deciding how to avoid repeat disasters.

Kennedy
01-24-2005, 14:31
Originally posted by Arlie:
I'm curious, has anyone heard of the newer (01 and up) block cracking?

How about a block with the splayed mains?

This would be useful information for anyone deciding how to avoid repeat disasters. We've got a 599 block running with splayed mains, KD pistons etc with about 70k on the clock. This one runs at a REAL 20psi+ not 20psi from a stock turbo. The block was cracked prior to rebuilding, and the crack was repaired via stitch seam of some sort...

My 96 is at around 40k...

Arlie
01-24-2005, 20:51
John,
I know you sell the enhanced block and have experience with the splayed mains. I take it you've seen/heard of no problems with either?

It's a curious situation. There seems to be little data to give any real perspective on the magnitude of the problem (what percentage of 6.5 blocks fail?) and whether or not the "fixes" really solve the problem.

I can't help but wonder if perspectives get grossly skewed, especially on a forum such as this, not intentionally of course but naturally.

jdmetcalf57
01-25-2005, 19:09
Just an update of my warranty quest.

I have spent hours on the phone and still have not been able to talk to the people that actually make the decisions. Cowards!!!!!

I had my reservations about taking my truck to a large dealer. This was the biggest mistake I made. Even though they said before I took it to them it would not be a problem. They told the area service rep (he makes the decision) that I probably caused it even though they did not even take the pan off to see what it was. It seems that once 1 rep makes a decision no others will counter it and they won't let you talk to them. The big dealer doesn't want to help me fight this battle either. They have just blown me off.

Finally called the owner of my local dealer who helped me with the trans swap and he said that if I hadn't taken it to the big dealer first he was pretty sure he could have got it covered. He is going to call the rep and see what he can do though.

He just earned any future business I do with GM. I would warn anybody about big dealers. To them you're just another ant in the hill and won't be missed much. You are much more significant to the small dealer. Only out of desperation will I ever go to a large dealer again.

I asked the GM customer assitance person to show me where they thought that it was legal for them to void the warranty. She said she would look. Don't think she will find it.

Getting close to having to take it to arbitration or a lawyer.

jdmetcalf57
01-31-2005, 17:51
Another update, commendation and question.

First I want to thank all of you for your help. I don't think I would have got where I am now without your help.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed but the area rep called me today and said take it to my dealer and if it is our problem they will fix it, if it is mine they will have it towed wherever I want it. Don't have any idea how they could pin the crack in the #3 cylinder on me but Murphy lives at my house. I should get one of the new Navistar long blocks out of this.

I'm thinking there are a few things I ought to have them replace while they are at it. The truck has 97K on it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I probably should change the harmonic balancer. What about the injectors? The truck was running fine but I don't know how long you can expect them to go.

jdmetcalf57
04-11-2005, 16:59
Final Resolution:

My truck is fixed!!!! 3months after I started this Saga.

With the help of a small local dealer I was able to convince GM that they should fix my truck. When I finally insisted GM show me where they legally could deny this claim they said they would look at it. Being it was a crack up #3 cyl wall there wasn't much they could say. Can't say enough about small local dealers though.

They put in a new long block which had a new harmonic balancer on it, a new water pump,and new oil lines. The total bill was almost $12,000. of which I only had to pay $785.

Here's the ironic thing. They put the new engine in and 2 cylinders would not fire. It turns out that on the brand new engine there were multiple bad valves that necessitated a head job.

Part of the reason they took so long was that I said I could get by without it for 3 months since they were really helping me out.

One other thing, the new engine is much much quieter than the old one. Not exaclty sure why. Since the old one only had 97K on it I would hope it wasnt because it was completely wore out.

Anyway since I now have a new engine and a new transmission I should be good for another 150K (but hope for 250k if the block doesn't crack again).

rjschoolcraft
04-11-2005, 17:19
If you received a new GEP long block, you should be good to go!

Dvldog 8793
04-11-2005, 17:42
JD
I'm glad to hear someone besides me finally got some satisfaction from GM even if you had to go through hell to get it. Sounds like you are good to go. From what I found out in research all the GM Good wrench long blocks are now AMGs cast by Navistar. Navistar confirmed that they have been making all the 6.5 castings for about 4 years. So you should have the bestest of the best with a 3year warrenty to boot! :D There is allot ot be said for small local dealers!
Good luck!
L8r
Conley