PDA

View Full Version : Coolant loss after thermostat install

markrinker
01-23-2005, 07:16
I ran truck #1 (bone stock '94) without a thermostat all last summer, enjoying 15-20 degree cooler temps as a result of less restricted coolant flow through the older, single thermostat design waterneck.

This winter, I installed a 195 degree thermostat which has helped with quicker warm-up, defrost and heater function. Average temps are about 20 degrees warmer than if run without the thermostat.

My plow operator added coolant last night after the indicator light came on. No apparent white smoke, no leakage on the ground.

Could the pressurized system be forcing coolant through small cracks in the heads? Thats my theory. The truck ran ALL summer pulling boats for a local marina without needing coolant...

[ 01-23-2005, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

tanker
01-23-2005, 16:34
Hi Mark, I think you may have had an air pocket that forced its way out when plowing. Did you bleed air out of the bleeder on the thermostat housing? You could have had air for a while until it got heated up from working the truck. I'd put a black mark on the expansion tank and keep an eye on it. Hopefully all will be fine. ;)

BBCB
01-23-2005, 18:13
I thought the air pocket issue was mine as well - but was not. Do you smell coolant? For whatever reason, the plastic "T" splitting the coolant lines for the rear heat "fell apart"!

The "T" had a crack running the entire length, dripping into the valley, where it would evaporate. Thus there was no drips on the ground or coolant to be seen anywhere.

Granted, you don't have a Sub, but hope it helps anyways.

BBCB

JTodd
01-24-2005, 04:35
I had the exact same problem. Never coolant on the ground, but needing to add weekly. Replacing the T fixed the problem.

rjschoolcraft
01-24-2005, 06:41
While removing my engine recently, I found one of the plastic tees broken as well. I, too, had a coolant leak that I couldn't find. Hmmm...