PDA

View Full Version : Coincidence or not?

Dimsdale
08-22-2003, 07:33
Here is one for the newly growing archives:

I recently had to replace my FSD (that pump I bought off Ebay just paid for itself!), but before I did, when the FSD was starting to fail, my CD player refused to work. When the FSD was replaced, the CD player worked again! Nothing was disconnected except for the FSD plug.

Early warning, or just another oddity?

gmctd
08-22-2003, 10:31
Very interesting - the only wiring I had could not figure out while building my rig was from the stereo to the PCM. I bought the factory manuals new from Helm because of that wiring.

jd

ucdavis
08-22-2003, 10:36
So maybe some of the many numerous pump change-outs are really caused by bad stereos. Or maybe playing rap music with base conflicting w/fsd signal.
Food for thought...

Cowracer
08-22-2003, 11:09
When trying to diagnose a bugger-bear of an electrical problem with a machine, one of my vendors sent me an email with a story about a vapor-locking chevy in the 60's to prove that there is a cause for everything, no matter how bizzare.

Seems that an engineer for NASA in florida would often go after dinner to the local store and pick up some ice cream for the family. On some occasions, the car would not restart when he came out. Being an Anal-retentive engineer type (NASA wont hire any other type) he started keeping a log.

After a while he noticed the only common factor was the flavor of the ice cream purchased. If he bought vanilla, the car would vapor-lock, and if he bought something else it would not. Now any sane person would say that car could care less about the flavor of the ice cream, but again, being an engineer, knew there was a correlation.

He forwarded his findings to GM and they dispatched a drivability engineer to go with him to try to discover the cause. After a week or so, the GM engineer finally hit on the solution.

It seemed that the store manager kept some vanilla ice cream (which is the most popular flavor) in a small cooler at the front of the store by the checkout. The other flavors was in the main cooler way in the back.

When he bought anything else other than vanilla, the car would have time to cool down enough to not vapor-lock. Thus proving that the choice of ice cream DID affect the car.

This story proves two things...

1) there is no such things as coincedence

2) most engineers have WAY too much free time on their hands

Tim

patrick m.
08-22-2003, 20:40
the only related wireing i can think of is "speed control volume" (if your rig is new enough).
this is the 96ish and up delco that allows automatic volume increase as vehicle speed increases.

how that relates to the fsd? not a clue

tom.mcinerney
08-22-2003, 21:18
If the FSD failure was due to the driver(s) themselves heading south, the transistor(s) may have 'stuck' in the ON position. This might have dragged down voltage in a circuit common to the FSD and CD player(?). The drivers do tend to short in their final days, i think. What year is this harness?

Dimsdale
08-24-2003, 21:31
Sorry for the delay in responding. Went away for the weekend,

My truck is a 1999 GMC Suburban, with "remote" in dash CD, and does have the speed controlled volume.

The CD refused to accept CDs into the slot. You could push it in, but it would not "suck it in" so to speak. The eject button worked, and the blue illuminator light worked, so I know it was getting power.

Didn't matter what type of ice cream or beer I bought! smile.gif