PDA

View Full Version : Trucks in minature

arrowheadracing
01-24-2005, 06:04
Well my sons bday is this saturday the 29th. He ll be 11. The guy across the street has this wicked nitro burning rc truck. Its an 1/8 scale, and hits close to 60 mph ( yes actual mph ). With all the trick chassis and suspension parts, I loved. My son loved it too. So I think I am going to try and make minature of my truck in rc form. Any of you guys into rc cars or trucks. Just wondering, though its not diesel related, for some advice on these things. I can only imagine if our diesel could make as much power as this little motor can ( 3 cc = 2.95 hp , incredible , rougly 12,000 hp in scale to our engine size ). I figure for $500-750 , I could build something that would probably cost me $750,000 to duplicate in my real truck.

Anybody ?
Todd

markrinker
01-24-2005, 06:22
I remember a classmate in gradeschool who had one of those. He damaged his hearing - permanently - from playing with it unprotected.

You and your son should wear full hearing protection around them. No joke.

DmaxMaverick
01-24-2005, 09:46
....Just wondering, though its not diesel related....Absolutely related. No spark. Glow plug. Compression ignition.

There are even some engines you can get a bolt on kit for that burn #2 Diesel. Davis Diesel makes a conversion kit for the OS .15 to .46, I think, and Irvine makes Diesel engines ready to go out of the box. They make excellent power and don't get as hot. The smaller displacements make more power on #2 than nitro.

True about the db levels. Take care of those young ears.

Sounds like a fun project.

arrowheadracing
01-24-2005, 12:24
Well I bought him a tricked out Traxas Tmaxx. Has all kinds of upgrades and some big tires. New motor ( bought the truck used, thought its only has 4 tanks of fuel through it ) UGHHH.... it comes with an f350 body though. We ll have to rectify that problem right away. I d definetly be interested in the diesel conversion kit though. Sounds like that would be a very interesting setup.

Thanks
Todd

JoeyD
01-24-2005, 16:06
I have a Revo and the thing is a blast. Plenty of hop up parts and plenty of parts to break.

Jim P
01-24-2005, 16:07
I just bought my son a used traxxas t-maxx for christmas. The guy I bought it from put in a new piston and sleeve and it runs excellent. It will pull wheelies off the line. It has the original 2.5 cc(.15 cu. in.) engine. I also bought another older one for my self that has a sirio .18 motor and these are supposed to have more power but my son's truck just blows mine right off the track. I think mine is about worn out. A new piston and sleeve for mine costs about $125.00 so I will just probably have to get beat by my son for a while.

We have a skateboard ramp that we jump and I have gotten mine about 15' off the ground and still landed on the wheels. My son is only eight and hit a tree with his and broke an a-arm and a front bulkhead. After I fixed these, he came in carrying his truck and said "Dad, I think I broke my back driveshaft, only the front wheels are spinning. Turns out that he blew out the rear differtial.

We downloaded a video where A guy jumps over a house with his rc car and it drove away after landing. These things are alot of fun but can get a little expensive.

My son wants me to build him an rc nitro pulling tractor. He wants it to have individual brakes on each back wheel that are actuated by the remote so he steer while the front wheels are off the ground.

arrowheadracing
01-24-2005, 16:36
Heres all the parts that where hopped up on ours.

With almost new 40 series big joe rims and tires,also stock rims dyed red with stock tires in great shape,ford f-350 body,stock maxx body,New Era Models Blue powdercoated rollbar,venom failsafe,venom 1100Mah reciever pack,o.s .15 cv-rx(s) motor like new very low hours (4 tanks of break in), RPM skidplates, Purple Aluminum Diff housings NIP, o.s tuned chrome pipe, stock pipe and header, stinger pipe and header, fuel bottle,two dynamite glow ignighters,motor saver air filter,rpm front rear bumpers, RPM wide track red A-arms,Proline cvd's from the diff to the wheels, Blue aluminum Powerline shock tower in front also the radio is a Tq3 with the stock 3 channel reciver, the reverse servo is included but not installed.

All this with a gallon of fuel and some tools. $265.

Sound like a fair deal, least from what I checked at the hobby store. They wanted $378 for one new, but I got all the upgrades and a new broken in motor too boot. I am sure I ll be machining a few parts, welding a full roll cage together and either powder coating or chrome plating alot of parts for it. I have a few people on the street that run these things. They are lining up to have some powder coating done, it ll be interesting to have all these trick high dollar minature parts ( easy to lift and work on). I might really enjoy customizing these little things. I did a check on the diesel conversion and didnt find anything. I think that would be really cool to do.

Check my website in the next couple of weeks , I am sure I ll have some pictures of the truck on there.

Thanks
Todd

arrowheadracing
01-24-2005, 16:39
For grins check out this supercharger setup for the tmaxx on ebay.

INNOVATIONS SUPERCHARGER. FOR TMAXX/ W/ 2.5TRX Item number: 5950933528

And when I thought these things couldnt get any cooler. Here is a supercharger for the damn thing. I might have to scratch build one myself.

Todd

arrowheadracing
02-15-2005, 05:07
The little truck is done and running finally. I understand the replacing expensive thing. Havent even got two tanks of fuel in it and we have had to put about $175 into it. Got everything back 100% and my neighbor ran it into a tire and broke a steering knuckle. I d be interested in seeing some pictures of other members little trucks.

Todd

Shad
02-15-2005, 12:19
My wife's right we are just a bunch of big kids.