PDA

View Full Version : EAGLE ALLOY WHEELS ON DUALLY?

moedog
08-22-2003, 17:44
JUST PURCHASED A SET OF EAGLE ALLOY WHEELS FOR MY 1TON DUALLY. CAN ANYONE TELL ME TIPS AND CARE HINTS. GOT THEM OFF EBAY, NEW, FOR 525 WITH CAPS AND LUGS FROM DISCOUNT TIRE IN OKLAHOMA.
THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Dvldog 8793
08-22-2003, 20:03
Howdy
Sounds like you got a bargain!!! The main thing you need to remember is " corosion of dissimilar metals" As a welder I run into ALLOT! The steel mating surfaces will corrode the alluminum. I made some thin(1/32) nylon spacers to go between my wheels and the steel. Also cover ALL mating surfaces w/ a thin coat of never-seez. It makes a mess but saves you a big pain and the mess cleans up. Remember to use a torque wrench about every 1000miles and around 100-200miles after you get them mounted. I don't trust the "torque stick" extensions that much. I'm sure they work but I don't think people are using them properly with calibrated equipment. Make sure that when you get them mounted they use the proper wheel weights and mounting tools so they don't peel off the clear coat or oxidize the AL.
Hope this helps :D
Conley
USMC 87-93

moedog
08-23-2003, 21:58
HEY DEVLDOG, WHAT WOULD THE COORECT WHEEL WEIGHTS BE??? MADE OF AND DO I PAINNNT THE NEVERSSEZ ON B4 GOING TO THE TIRE STORE??? DO AUTO PARTS DEALERS SELL IT? I HAVE ANTI-SEIZE ( GRAY LOOKING STUFF ) WILL THAT WORK. HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR GEARVENDORS UNIT? DO INEED IT WITH 410 GEARS
FINALLY, THANKS MUCH FOR THE HELP!!!!
DAN

Dvldog 8793
08-24-2003, 11:38
Howdy
Anti-seeze is the same stuff. Normally if you bring your truck to GOOD tire/service store(not a in-n-out tire place) they will have anti-seeze and will put it on for you. They should also have the proper weights, they are coated with a plastic so they don't corrode or scuff the rim. I have seen stick on weights that go on the inside of the rim(out of sight) but not many places have them and I don't know how good they stay on. I would think that if you go to a good service place they should know everything that I'm talking about, probably more. :D
As to the Gearvendor, I love it! I've had it for about 80k miles and I'm sure that it has paid for itself, possibly more than once if you factor in the reduced speed that my driven accesories are running at. My truck has 4.10 gears and my GV allows me to run at 75mph w/ the same rpm that I would be turning for 58mph. I also have tall tires and that changes things also. My trany runs cooler when pulling a load because I run in 3rd w/ the GV on. I've never had any problems with the unit. It doesn't really increase your mileage, if anything it probably decreases it with ALL things being equal. But it does allow me to run with the flow of traffic on the highway. I put around 20-25k miles on my truck per year so to me it was worth the money. It really depends on how you use your truck.
Hope this helps!
L8r
Conley

moedog
08-24-2003, 20:39
HEY, THAT HELPED ALOT!!!! ILL TAKE THE ANTISEIZE WITH ME AS MY TOWN HAS NO GOOD TIRE STORES THAT IVE FOUND. PERIOD. ITS SAD BUT TRUE.
ILL GO WITH THE GV. SOUNDS GREAT.
IVE GOT A 93 ROADMASTER WITH THE 350 FOR MY DAILY DRIVER. GREAT CAR AS YOUR POLICE CAPRICE IS.I JUST WOULD LIKE TO SEE ONE PERSON UNDER 65 IN ONE.HA HA .
THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP
DAN

Cowracer
08-25-2003, 14:51
I have eagles on mine. One note of caution..

Watch the tire store guys like a HAWK. The center caps do NOT insert from the backside like on normal wheels. They mount on the front. Putting them through the back will destroy them, and on the rear wheels lead to broken lugs.

Tim

moedog
08-25-2003, 17:19
COWRACER, I SURE WILL WATCH THEM, THANKS FOR THE TIP

ChevyDooley
08-26-2003, 00:54
we all got the same wheels!! ahaha! I got em too.