PDA

View Full Version : ATTN Roniejoe...

Dvldog 8793
01-24-2005, 08:13
Howdy
Maybe an idea for a poll, "How my 6.5 block became an end-table" or something to the effect of what happened with different members crack/otherwise broken blocks. ANd what if any warrenty issues there were. Mileage that was on the motor and typical use might be helpful.
Just an idea.......
L8r
Conley

rjschoolcraft
01-24-2005, 09:15
That sounds like a good idea.

gmctd
01-24-2005, 09:22
THought my post on direction of force would get more response than it did, as to which mains webbing sustained the most damage - passenger-side or driver-side.

Could distinguish normal(?) failure from any resulted from upgrades meant to increase power output.

markrinker
01-24-2005, 09:33
My 1994 'endtable' had 132,000 miles on it before failing. Engine was in stock form except for a Turbo-Master to replace a failed vacuum pump.

Bought this truck at 90K, it never had proper power - even for a stocker. It had a warranty IP and was set to proper injection timing. Maybe it needed injectors, but it started easily and ran smoothly - too smoothly for a diesel.

No healthy diesel rattle at all, no smoke. Just anemic with no apparent cause that I could ever come up with. Maybe was stuck in terminal 'limp mode' or something, who knows. Wouldn't pull much more than its own weight up an incline.

Without any warning, it broke a crankshaft. Mechanic said there were cracks in every main web from front to back.

[ 01-24-2005, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

rjschoolcraft
01-24-2005, 09:45
Originally posted by gmctd:
THought my post on direction of force would get more response than it did, as to which mains webbing sustained the most damage - passenger-side or driver-side.

Could distinguish normal(?) failure from any resulted from upgrades meant to increase power output. What exactly did you mean?

gmctd
01-24-2005, 10:00
Thread by Kent, I think, where his block cracked on driver-side.
I responded that majority of power stroke thrust from both banks is taken by driver-side mains webbing.
Conley was only response, indicating passenger-side.

Hoped for a flood of left-side, right-side, both side, center-only type responses.

Which could then be correlated to oem, Boost, Boost + chip, B+C + charge-air cooler, etc.

Including the transmutation failures, where left foot turned to lead after upgrades. ;)

rjschoolcraft
01-24-2005, 10:08
Originally posted by gmctd:
I responded that majority of power stroke thrust from both banks is taken by driver-side mains webbing. That's the part I don't get.

gmctd
01-24-2005, 10:26
Passenger-side thrust is toward driver-side.

Driver-side down-ward thrust is pulling against driver-side.

Passenger-side gets mainly compression and exhaust stroke forces.

I'm wondering if the failures reflect those offset forces.

V-block cylinder wear reflects this.

EWC
01-24-2005, 12:06
I think what JD is alluding to is that the force of the passenger piston/connecting rod will try to drive the crankshaft to the left side of the block putting the main bearing bolts in tension and leading to block cracking . This would support his theory of cracking webs on one side only . Now if the engine had a counterclockwise rotation , the results should be reversed .

As an aside , I just went through about 6 different blocks that had cracks in one place or another . Some were 6.2's and others were the 6.5 . A couple had the inner 3 main bearing cap bolts , on the outside only and on one side , broken at about a 45* angle starting down at the 3rd or 4th thread . These were found in the webs that had the cracks running to the cylinder bores .