PDA

View Full Version : Quick help! Retaining nut on vacuum pump pulley?

Steve O.
10-19-2004, 17:39
I'm literally in the middle of swapping in the new vacuum pump. New pump and new pulley (not yet mated) are ready to go in. Old pump is out.

All is going well until I see this retainer thing on the end of the old pump. I see the inside diameter of the new pump shaft is threaded, and assumed there was a retaining bolt/nut piece on the end of the old pump that I would unthread and re-use. But the piece on the end of the old pump is flat. No sides to put a wrench on, although I can get a Vise Grip on it. Thought I'd check here first before I started banging on things...

Anyone have an idea of what should be done here?

Thanks!

Steve

norm
10-19-2004, 17:53
It's a press-on pulley, like many power steering pumps. The reman p.s. pumps that I have installed usually come with a bolt and washer to help install the pulley, but I use the tool for this, as it is much easier. I don't think it was very expensive - you can get them at pep boys, etc. (Lisle, et al brands).
I am not sure about the retainer you are talking about, but the inside threads are for the installation tool only, not for something permanent.

Steve O.
10-19-2004, 18:06
Norm, I was just coming back to the computer, sheepishly, to say "never mind". I knew it was suppossed to press on, and was "surprised when I saw this retainer looking thing. Which of course, is just the fitting on the pulley.

I realized my mistake a couple of minutes ago sitting at the table staring at the old and new pulleys...

Not paying attention. Thats what happens when I start a project late after a long day.

Thanks!

Steve