PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Boost

Tom C.
11-24-2003, 17:05
I am going to wire a 0-50k ohm pot. in so I can adjust the turbo boost. I was wondering what the relationship is between resistance and boost. Does higher resistance lower the boost or raise it? Also can anyone give me a general idea as to the approximate resistance I should initally set the pot at so I don't throw codes or over boost?

Thanks,
Tom C.

whatnot
11-24-2003, 22:34
The sensor reads voltage. By putting a pot in it you lower the voltage by increasing the resistance.
thedieselpage article said to use a 10K pot but I put a 20K on mine and it works fine. You can start out at 0 ohms and turn the pot till the SES light comes on, then back it off a little to figure out the maximum you can go.(but it will probably be over 20 psi) I think you can do it with the key on and engine off.

turbovair
11-24-2003, 23:03
I'd like to know a little more detail about how this is done. Where is the resistor/pot wired in?

Tom C.
11-25-2003, 03:37
Turbovair,

Email me at ohherperiam@yahoo.com and I will give you a link that tells how to wire up the boost fooler.

Tom C.

turbovair
11-25-2003, 11:38
Tom C,
Thanx, I got the link. It speaks of using a 0-10,000 OHM pot, however, you are using a 0-50 OHM pot. Is anything over 50 OHMs useless? Also, where will the pot be installed? Somewhere under the dash? Somewhere under the hood?
Thanx again,
TVair

turbovair
11-25-2003, 11:40
Duuuuhhhh,
Its a 50K pot, not a 50 pot.My bad.

Tom C.
11-25-2003, 19:05
Turbovair,
I just happened to have a 50K laying around. I have heard of a number of guys using a 20K. Don't really know what, if anything, the extra capacity will do. Guess I'll find out when I get it connected.
Tom C.

Tom C.
11-25-2003, 19:11
Turbovair,
Forgot to answer your second question. I am planning on putting mine under the hood. It may take a little fiddling to get it set but then I will just leave it once I get it set. If I put it in the cab I would probably be fiddling with it all the time. Might be too much of a temptation for the right foot! Cab mount would make initial adjustment a lot easier though.

Barry Nave
11-26-2003, 02:54
0-10k gives better controll on the knob. Not so touchy. To much up on the boost will give code and the boost will go away till you lift your hard foot or back down on the knob.
If I want I can run 15 psi on a hard pull but thats to much IAT though the water keeps the IAT down so I can run 15psi.
I do have mine in dash, yea it,s fun to play with! drives my wife nut's with all the bells and wishels in the dash.
Installed this 3yrs ago and doing fine.
I also play around with JK boost controller that works on the same ideal though it a plug and play system and a eazy install.

www.imagestation.com/mypictures/ (http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/)

Blue knob is boost control