PDA

View Full Version : Turbo's - which one to pick?

Uncle Wally
08-23-2003, 22:57
Hey Guys,

Here's my dilema:

I pulled the air cleaner box off a couple of days ago and noticed that the untake side of the turbo has a couple bent fins. One which is slightly cracked. I'm not comfortable running this turbo as I can't afford little pieces of it costing me a new engine. So I have decided to purchase a new turbo. BUT WHICH ONE!

In talking with JK, I'm seriously leaning towards the 300hp Peninsular unit. Especially since I want to have a 300hp 18:1 engine in this truck by the end of next summer. My understanding is that this is not a direct bolt on to the 6.5 manifold. What kind of mods are required? If I go with this turbo, I need to modify the manifold before I have it ceramic coated w/ a thermal barrier coating added to the inside. Or else I get to do it all over again (not money well spent).

Are there any other options out there that is a relatively easy bolt on that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I figure if I could get a GM-4/8 for a reasonable price, I would go that route. But if it's only a couple of hundred dollars between a reman stock one and Pen Diesels big one, I would get the Pen Diesels big one (since the plan is to use that one in the future anyways).

Any suggestions or opinions?

Waldo

DogDiesel
08-24-2003, 08:22
I spoke with Matt at Peninsular at great lengths prior to buying the Peninsular Performance Turbo. It is referred to as the 250HP model.

Matt told me the 300 HP model always makes smoke till it gets up to RPM, and with a 5 speed, people behind me would hate me.

This PPT 250 model is similar. I have to feather the throttle till I get a little boost or RPM above 1500. Yeah, I see the cars back off. I can see the initial whiffs thru the rear view.

If that big turbo makes anymore smoke than the PPT, lanes will clear behind you.

But if you want it to tow, and don't mind the initial misquito spraying, you will like both of them probably.

It forces me to drive conservatively when empty, because when you are not conservative, it will make your truck scoot and tree huggers cringe.

Wayne