PDA

View Full Version : mechanical inj. coversion for '94

lupey6.5
08-24-2003, 09:07
i have a '94 blazer 6.5td engine code "s" and i am in the process of gathering the parts to convert the injection system to a '92-'93 mechanical setup. i have the pump and the boost controller is on its way. i just need to know what else(exactly) i need to complete this. i know that the diesel page has all of this information available in one of the past bullitins i just don't know which one to buy.

C.K. Piquup
08-24-2003, 13:06
You need all parts from peddle to linkage/brackets.Your cruise&anti-lock brakes will be disfunctional and will need to be dealt with.The cruise is easily taken care of by purchasing an aftermarket set-up which is the same maker as OEM,look identical and all.JC Whitney is one source for this.Not sure how the brakes are taken care of.Anyone know?Good Luck,that`s what I know about it.

lupey6.5
08-24-2003, 13:18
yeh thereo change over but here is a former diesel page bullitin available that has everything:parts list, steps, instructions i want to buy the volume but i don't know which one it is

whatnot
08-24-2003, 13:32
Do you have an auto or manual transmission? If auto, I think that will be the biggest problem.
It appears to be in to seperate parts.
part 1 (http://www.thedieselpage.com/back98.htm)
part 2 (http://www.thedieselpage.com/back99.htm)

Bobbie Martin
08-24-2003, 18:32
Hi,
I'm just did this on a 1995 Suburban. Here is a quick rundown of what's needed. I'm assuming your Blazer is an automatic, 4L60e or 4L80e
1 - If you go with the conventional wisdom, they all use a throttle pedal modified to accept a throttle cable and operate the TPS. This requires fabrication & welding work, but not beyond the scope of the average home shop. Quite a bit of trial & error to get it to work. You need to get an accelerator pedal assembly from a gas truck to make the cable part of it. I'm not convinced this is the way to go, but it's what most people have done. You CANNOT just use a TPS mounted on the DB2 pump as your computer is looking for 3 inputs from the APP (TPS) and it will not work with only one. Believe me, I tried.
2 - A throttle cable & bracket for the DB2 pump - Cable is real easy, just get a cable from a 1993 6.5 TD truck from your dealer. The hole is already in the firewall, covered by a plastic plug. Pedal end fits right in the gas truck pedal arm. If you have single thermostat, no problem. Dual stats, quite a bit of work. Dual stat mods are covered pretty thoroughly in the reprints.
3 - The mechanical pump itself. 6.5 mech pump 5088 or 4911 or equal. If you use a 6.2 pump, it requires a new head & rotor, so it cost too much to use them (I'm told). Some pre 94 6.5's need this as well (over $300 just for the head/rotor) so shop wisely. If the pump doesn't already have it, may need a fast idle solenoid, another $100 or so.
4 - A new set of fuel injector lines from a 6.2 or non electronic pump 6.5. $20-25 each X 8. DS4 lines won't fit.
5 - An HPCA temp switch - fits in the right head at the back & the wire to connect it up. Pretty straightforward, but a REAL pain to reach! Switch is only $12 or so. You will need some wires to hook it all up.
6 - Boost control. Ditch your vacuum pump & stock controller and get a Bill Heath Turbomaster.
7 - Cruise control - If you have cruise now, you won't when you are done. I'm working on something now, if it works it will be a cheap and (relatively) easy fix.
By far the biggest problem is getting the transmission to shift right. It is the single biggest drawback to doing the swap. There may be another way around the throttle pedal and transmission problems, but I haven't finished working it out yet. Stay tuned. There are no ABS issues I'm aware of. PS, I would order the reprints, but you won't find comprehensive instructions there for this swap. There are some articles, but unfortunately, they are short on specifics. If you decide to go forward with this and you need help, just e-mail me.

whatnot
08-24-2003, 19:16
If you do need a set of injector lines, I might have an extra set when I get a new (used) engine for my '93. If you are interested, email me and I will save them for you.

Is your pump dead? I have the one that Bobbie Martin took off his Suburban on my '95 and it is still going good. (that was the best deal I got in a long time)

whatnot@ureach.com

lupey6.5
08-24-2003, 21:53
thank you bobbie. how do you ditch the vac pump? shorter serp. belt? also whatnot please e-mail me about those inj.lines asap. my pump isn't dead but they replaced it at about 100,000 and i have 225,000 now with a pmd and custom cooler installed last year. looking forward to trying to trash the computer all together!.. nv4500 and 92-93 glow plug control should do it. the cruise can be fixed with an audiovox after market setup about $100 whitney or pep-boys. thanks again and if you think of anything else let me know!
lupey6.5@comcast.net

lupey6.5
08-24-2003, 21:57
also what is the prob with the lines can you not bend them, do they have different size fittings, or do they fire in diff.order?

whatnot
08-24-2003, 22:03
Do they make an aftermarket cruise control that doesen't need vacuum? If so, then you just but a belt for a 92 or 93 that didn't come with a vacuum pump.

If you read this post, the first reply says you can't bend the lines. That is as much as I know about it.
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004310#000001

[ 08-24-2003, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: whatnot ]

Bobbie Martin
08-25-2003, 06:31
As others have said, to remove the vacuum pump you can get a belt from a 93 6.5.
The fittings on the injection lines are smaller at the pump end for the DB2's, that is why you have to change them.
There are aftermarket cruise units that do not use vacuum, but they are expensive $200 or more for the ones I have seen.
I'm still getting everything sorted out on our Sub and then I will be working on the cruise problem. I have an idea, just not sure it will work. If it does, for $25 or so you can have factory type cruise control, without vacuum.

britannic
08-25-2003, 10:27
If you want to save some money, you can have a 6.2L inj. pump rebuilt and/or calibrated to the 4911 output. I had mine flowed to 70cc/min @ 2000rpm WOT with 2 degrees of advance for $185.00 + shipping by Tim Wagner @ www.cleaninjectors.com. (http://www.cleaninjectors.com.) He has an advert in the DP classifieds and I was very impressed with his customer service and the pump is an excellent performer.

lupey6.5
08-27-2003, 08:01
tim wagner has built me a hybrid 6.5-7.3 pump in a 4911 case i can't wait to get this thing together.