PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Harmonic Balancer Removal

Johnny B.
08-24-2003, 18:25
I started work to install my 97 cooling mod kit today. I'm stumped trying to remove the harmonic balancer. I had a three prong gear puller on it and all it seemed to do was pull the outside ring that is seperated by rubber from the inside ring out. I stopped since I didn't want to destroy the harmonic balancer. Oh, I forgot to mention that I am also installing new timing chain and gear set.

Has anyone pulled their harmonic balancer off, any ideas or suggestions? I want to get this project completed tomorrow if possible. I really don't want to break the harmonic balancer and buy a new one. HELP!

mhagie
08-24-2003, 18:53
If you moved the outer ring on balancer even a little, IMO the balancer is toast,no way would I trust it again.
The balancer is removed by a puller that is shaped like a T, a long center bolt with slotted arms to both sides where you install a bolt on each side into the holes from the belt pulley, that way all pressure is on the center section of balancer.
If the balancer is original w/over 200k its due to be replaced anyhow.

mhagie
08-24-2003, 18:56
OOPS,forgot to say that Auto Zone has tools at very little cost to rent,if you have one in your area, they should have the correct puller. :D

Johnny B.
08-25-2003, 20:31
I finally got everything apart today, the harmonic balancer is now a two piece unit :D . I ordered a new one and it should be in within a couple of days. I got the new chain and gears on and stopped. I'll clean everything up tomorrow and get it put back together. I'm also going to replace all of the 1/4" hoses since I can get to them. If not I suspect they will start leaking within a week of getting it put back together.