PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - Starter Issues

Big Red Suburban
01-25-2005, 17:09
I was installing my new battery cables and discovered my starter was loose! The two long bolts were both loose and the case of the starter was also coming apart! I thought there was supposed to be another support bracket mounted to the starter? There is a stud on the end of the starter. Also there is a smaller bolt that goes thru the starter (maybe 2" long, kind of between the solenoid and starter) that had no nut on the other end and was just sitting in the hole? I don't know its purpose?

Can anyone let me know if there should be a support bracket and where it attaches too? This way I will know what to ask for from the dealer tomorrow, unless someone has some spart parts lying around ;)

Thank goodness I didn't hit the key one morning and find this thing on the ground!

Dvldog 8793
01-25-2005, 17:20
Howdy
There should be a front starter support bracket. I'm not sure exactly how it attaches as it's been awhile since I took one off. It should be pretty clear once you have it in your hand. You might want to try your local salvage yard first as it is just a chunk of stamped steel and not real complex. Get NEW GM starter mounting bolts and torque them to spec and then check them after about a week or two and then at every oil change. This is just what I do, maybe someone has a better plan?
Hope this helps!
L8r
Conley

bobt
01-25-2005, 21:17
Hi I got a replacement bracket from the dealer three or four years ago. It was only a couple of dollars and was sturdier than the original one. I'd recommend you get a new one. As I recall, it bolts onto the front of the starter and onto the block. It is a tight space but I was able to get it on with some small wrenches.
Bob

Hye
01-26-2005, 06:40
Its been a long time, but I think the best way to get to the front starter bracket is thru the wheelwell. Take of the wheel and flexible mud guard. I destroyed the plastic fasteners getting the guard off and needed new ones. Parts house, or dealer if you will be there anyway. I also remember that its easy to get the cable to the battery up against the wire to the starter switch if you attach the cable after the starter is on the engine.

JohnC
01-26-2005, 09:23
http://members.aol.com/gmc65td/starter.jpg

Cowracer
01-26-2005, 09:28
I just got done installing a new starter last night. It is almost impossible to get to the bolt that holds the front bracket to the starter. Getting to the bolt that holds the braket to the block is much easier.

So what I did was to set the old starter on a flat surface (with the front braket still installed) and turned the starter so it sat on a couple of edges and would not roll over. I set the new starter right beside it on those same edges.

I then used a magenetic angle finder to get the angle of the braket, and then put the braket on the new starter at exactly the same angle and tightened it up.

The new starter when right in and the braket lined up perfectly with the block boss and hole.

Hope it helps.

tim

Big Red Suburban
01-27-2005, 04:55
Update, got the bracket ordered (like $2.50) should be in today. I got the starter reinstalled with the new 2/0 cable attached. All I can say is WOW :D , what a difference the cable makes (as well as tightening the starter down). This suburban has never spun over this fast before!!!

FWIW, when I originally took off the starter, the bracket was gone, the starter case bolt in the bottom of JohnC's picture was gone, both long bolts that hold the starter together were loose (allowing the case to twist slighly), the small bolt going thru the starter (just under the solenoid) didn't have a nut on it, and the two big mounting bolts were loose. I can't believe the darn thing worked :eek: