PDA

View Full Version : Tranny controllers

Dihrdbowti
09-29-2004, 14:17
Ok I have looked around and there are some TCC lockup tweaks out there but I have feel better about someone that has already done the engineering. BD makes the TorqLoc, JK has the interceptor to increase line pressure and Heath has the GM Electronic Adjustable Transmission Controller. Basically I am a lightweight when it comes to you guys and towing. :D and rather inexperienced. I believe my Yukon is only rated for 7500lbs towing capacity. I will be doing some towing here shortly from Reno to So Cal between 4500lbs and 6000lbs max. There will be lots or mountains in between. I would like to be able to lock up the converter to help keep the tranny running cooler. I have my gauges so I have been learning to drive by them. Any suggestions or real world exp with any of the above mentioned controllers? Any other advice on towing habits of a short wheelbase vehicle? I will be hauling a couple of cars back and forth. Oh and I got a little extra cash this month so I will be giving JK a call for an exhaust. WOO HOO!!

Thanks

rjwest
09-29-2004, 17:45
The BD TCC lock up " torque Loc " will not work on
a 96 or later...." causes " Limp Mode"

I do not know of any unuts for control of the TCC lock up, except some " expensive " units that replace the PCM functiom....

Other things available for shift pressure , etc.
as stated

There are ways to force a TCC lock up. with a resister.
See Cheap way to force lock up TCC, posts...

Dihrdbowti
09-29-2004, 18:02
You know that's what I thought and read from the product review of it here so I posted a question about it on their board. Here is the response.

"this should not be an issue,one off the guys in our transmission shop installed a torque lock on his 98 454/4l80e 1 ton and likes it! a exhust brake is not ness on a diesel to use a torque lock. Any further questions call me at BD-power trans dept shop foreman MIKE KARAM thanks 1-800-887-5030 ex-134".

But I am still skeptical. :D

More Power
09-29-2004, 18:19
For a discussion about 6.5 towing and keeping things cool, I might suggest having a look at the article (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/mccauley.htm) Tanker (Tom McCauley) put together that covers most of your questions.

MP

Dihrdbowti
09-29-2004, 18:44
Thanks More Power that is a good article. Thanks for point it out.

RJ how is the resistor mod working out for you?

rjwest
09-30-2004, 06:13
Ref BD Torque Loc: My installation did no work,
When I called BD they told me all the things I probably did wrong on installation, After many hours of frustration, Finially got to someone who said, there have been isues on gm OBD2 Vehicles ( do not know if limited to Diesel Application ).

Ref Resister: It works, but requires some time
getting use to. It causes a false overtemp in
the PCM which causes TCC to lock up at lower speeds and also 2nd gear. Down side, causes
High pressure shifts... Need switch to control
TCC when needed.

Info: With 3.73 gears: 2nd will lock TCC at 27mph, 3rd at 40 mph, and 50mph in OD ( no change
here, but TCC will stay locked untill 3rd downshift.

I find 2nd gear lock up very useful on steep back
road hills, Also 3rd lock up on
long climbs at 60 mph.

Use of the resister override requires a switch and manueal shifting to keep " harsh shifts to a minimum ).

TCC locked really keeps Tran temps down...
( the Alu deep pan also made quite a differance ,
30 deg's in all modes..

Still wish I had a " Real " Transmission that
did not need " mickey mouse " fixes.
Keep thinking about the PSS or TCI stand alone ,
programable Tran controller,

Called PSS, they said TCC lock up is fully controllable in all gears, just have a hard time investing another 950 dollars in the
the Beast.

The instructions for the Resister are in a previous post ( search TCC )
If you want more info, and can't find post,
let me now and I will repost particulars( don't
have info close by right now ).

Dihrdbowti
09-30-2004, 07:17
Thanks for the info. I have the link to the other post and have read it. Just wanted to see if you had any other issues over teh past few months. Figure it's a whole lot cheaper trying the resitor first and if I really don't like it I can always spend the big $$'s for something else.

Thanks again