PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Exhaust vs EGT

Kollin Syverson
08-25-2003, 21:15
Ive been toying with the idea of upgrading my somewhat stock exhaust. By somewhat I mean my down pipe has been replaced and cat removed and new pipes installed, but they were replaced with the factory size pipes. What I am wondering is will the 3 or 3.5 inch noticably lower my EGT enough to justify the cost of the system. My thought is if I can only get 50-100* lower EGT, then it probably wont justify the cost of the system. Since I only put about 5,000 miles a year on, and of these miles less than 500 miles is spent pulling my 35' 5'er. The rest of the time it is used as my car or sitting the in garage. Also is there a real significant power gain in going to the larger exhaust. Any input is appreciated.

patrick m.
08-25-2003, 21:59
if you have the smooth down pipe, and lost cat ;) ,then you have most of the benefits in place.
depending on how much you plan to do (mod wise) later on, you may just want to get a high flow muffler.
a local muffler shop should be able to install a "straight-thru" equipment type muffler that is not very loud, but gives very good flow.

the 50-100f drop will probably require an expensive complete 3.5" or larger system.