PDA

View Full Version : Power steering pump

MarcHogenboom
01-27-2005, 05:00
Heater works, now the power steering pump gives me troubles. There are 3 connections on this pump. One high presure outlet on the back, this one is obvious. One low presure (return) on the back and one on the side. Now what do I do with two returns? I'm doing something wrong because the oil foames like crazy and power is minimal. Anyone???

More Power
01-27-2005, 10:55
One of the PS return fittings is for the hydraulic brake booster and another for the steering gear.

MP

MarcHogenboom
01-27-2005, 12:47
That's odd. It's a pump with a remote reservoir so I would expect one line between reservoir and pump. That leaves me with the seccond return on the pump. And what causes the oil to foam?

Peter J. Bierman
01-27-2005, 13:42
Could one be the leaking line? if so it should return to the reservoir too.

Peter

tom.mcinerney
01-31-2005, 07:44
My Helm (OEM) manual [for model year '95] has good section, "Diagnosis of Power Steering System" in chapter'3B', "Power Steering Gear and Pump". Under 'Problem'-"Foaming milky looking power steering fluid, low level, and possibly low pressure'", two causes are listed:
1.) Air in the fluid...due to internal pump leakage ....
2.)Hose or air leakage in reservoir line.
Some suggested cures:
"Check for leak and correct.Bleed System.Extremely cold temperatures will cause system aeration should the oil level be low." (Cont'd, etc.)
Flushing and bleeding system may help, tuff outdoors when cold.
"www.rockauto.com" a good source if need parts. Delphi/A1-Cardone listing indicates remote reservoir current application ambulance duty.