PDA

View Full Version : Car-Code OBD 2 Software Users?

joed
01-27-2005, 07:38
For those that have used this software, I have some questions about some reported parameters. These are both found in the "enhanced" section of the data tab, for L65 engines.

1. What does your timing value show? I mentioned in another thread mine shows between 14-17 degress, which seems excessive. Is this just a quirk of the software or am I actually running like that?

2. What does your boost pressure read? Mine seems to read around 12 psi at idle, which seems low assuming it reads actual versus gauge (Press + 14.7 as I recall). Or does it really read kPa instead of psi?

3. Can you clear codes stored in history? I figured out to read the code history, but the same ones seem to come up after clearing, unless they keep re-setting.

Thanks in advance. Joe.

slagona
01-27-2005, 09:08
As far as boost goes, 14.7 is just an "average". It may not be the actual current Atmospheric Pressure. 12 psi = 24.43 inches of mercury, which is a bit low, as your current reading (according to Yahoo) is 29.92 or 14.695 psi....... The lowest recorded pressure reading is 25.69 inches of mercury - so something is up with the 12psi reading. It certainly could be your sensor........

Currently, where I'm at, Pressure is 15.04 psi, or 103.69 kPa - so you are not seeing kPa.

I haven't used Car Code in over a year - but I know that Autotap had both Boost and Atmospheric Pressure available in the data - so see if you can find (I know it's not easy in Car Code) the reading for Atmospheric Pressure. I don't remember if the Atmospheric Pressure was an actual sensor reading or just a constant number like 14.7 psi. I know some programs were talking about just using the 14.7 - so there may not be a sensor for atmospheric pressure.

--Scott

JohnC
01-27-2005, 09:30
Out on a limb here...

The pressure sensors on the truck read absolute pressure with no corrections. Local barometric pressure is corrected for altitude. Most of Colorado is at or above 5000' altitude, so 12 psi absolute is not unreasonable....

rjwest
01-27-2005, 09:49
What codes are you seeing, and where.

The car code cleard codes and also clears " Hidden " limp modes.

There are enhanced codes, which I do not believe are " codes" but status of sensors used by the PCM.

Give me some examples, I will check mine.

Timing, if I rember, usually is around 10-12 degrees on my 96 duelly....

joed
01-27-2005, 11:00
Thanks for the responses.

As for codes, I've been seeing P1216 & P1217 most often, sometimes 221 & 226 show up. They are listed in the codes tab after clicking on enhanced pull-down, and then under history, I think. This would seem to indicate they are legit. They are listed as historical so I'm never sure when they occured or if they get completed cleared out.

Joe.

rjwest
02-05-2005, 11:49
1216 & 1217 are " fuel solenoid responce time to:
long / short. ( the enhanced screen displays this info when the code is highlited with the mouse.)

You should be able to clear these codes from that screen. My laptop is " kaput " reloading at present time. I will try to check how it
works for enhanced codes.

That code is usually an IP pump, or possibly a
FSD. If it does nor repeat, you may be ok.

Does the truck have intermittent " hiccup ",
stalls, Rough running at low throttle right after TCC locks? These are usually signs of these codes....

joed
02-06-2005, 14:13
Thanks for the info. I think I've figured out how to clear all the codes. I've gone a couple days now without a 1216, so that's a start!

I don't notice a hiccup, per say, just "fluttering" when accelerating with the engine cold (I have a 5-spd, so no TCC). I cleaned all the grounds I could find, and it seems to be running smoother. We'll see.

Joe.

rjwest
02-07-2005, 12:56
5 speed, WOW Do I envey you.

In all the posts i have read I do not recall anyone having Both Inj long/short codes set at same time.....

Hope it does not come back.

Just loaded 1/31/05 program. Noticed that TDC ofset is readable. Also 2 fields for "Inj pump counts missed". ( ? ) sent note to carcode,
Reply, ignore 2nd field .

Made me feel much better as it had a high error count.

I would like the program if there was better documentation.....

GMCfourX4
02-07-2005, 13:15
Joed;
I am fairly sure that the reading you are getting for pressure is an actual pressure reading, which, at idle, would indicate that there is a slight vacuum in the intake, which makes sense since the turbo is not doing any work, and there would be a slight restriction from the air filter etc... I have seen other people say that on scanners that are showing boost only, they get a slight negative pressure at idle. As for your "hiccup".... I wonder if that's a peculiarity of the 5-speeds... Every once-in-a-while my truck will start to pull MUCH harder than is called for based on the small amount of throttle I'm requesting.... If I immediately jump off the throttle, it jumps all over like I don't know how to use a clutch (although it always happens after the clutch is engaged, and usually in 1st gear...)... wierd :D

-Chris