PDA

View Full Version : GM-5 turbo rebuild, replace, or upgrade

82beast
08-26-2003, 18:57
hello all
My parents have a 96 GMC suburban with 72000 miles on it and they have a problem with the turbo. The problem is that after about 1000 miles of driving if you check the air filter it is clogged with oil, looking into it I can see that the gasket on the back of the compresser side is leaking oil, Having noticed this I deceided to check for play in the shaft. I noticed the shaft seal is pretty worn. There is between .002" and .007" play fore-to-aft while side-to-side is about.012" play(I expect there to be some as there is no oil pressure). On a side note I have just recieved my new engine from the Diesel Depot which is setup with a brand new GM-8 turbo, checking the play I find that there is almost no play(at most .0015" in all directions.) My question is has much play is normarl(considering age and mileage), if a rebuild is nessecary because of the oil leak who does it(is thier anybody in central New Jersey)and about how much. Or should my dad just upgrade to the GM-8 since he is also getting ready to replace the exhuast with something better and not full of holes,damn road salt :mad: , Be a better choice to take.
Thanks in advance for any responses. :cool: