PDA

View Full Version : going to look at a 6.5, need advice

KEVIN MUNCASTER
01-27-2005, 07:45
Hey group. I'm a regular on the 6.2 site, but I've stumbled onto something and need the advice of you 6.5 owners. I have a 6.2 and have been hands on and love this truck. I am passing it on to my son soon, but it will always be my baby.

Here's what I looking at:
94 6.5TD 1500 series Z71 4x4 ext cab stepside. Auto trans, 110,000 miles. Price is right, owner says runs great (heard that before). I want to go and look in cold weather (this week) and need to know what to look for. The cracked block / antifreeze consumption issues I read about worry me. Should I be looking for another 6.2 or take a chance on a 6.5 ? This truck is priced right if it turns out to be okay. Also the ext. cab and 4x4 would be nice addition to my fleet.

Open to suggestions !

:confused:

moondoggie
01-27-2005, 09:35
Good Day!

What kind of trailer hitch is on it? What's in the guy's yard that he may have been pulling with it? Being a 1500 Z71, it's possible it's never pulled anything heavier than a fishing boat, but it's worth looking into.

My 95 pickup (80K miles @ purchase) has a gooseneck hitch in the bed with significant steel welded & bolted in this area, plus helper springs. I know the guy was going to Canada & hauling tractors back to MN - he told me so, & the trailer was in the yard. Knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't have bought this truck. Fortunately, it has worked out fine. I've had none of the dreaded meltdown stuff happen to me (yet).

The trailering I've done is light duty, compared to what I've read about others on the Page doing. I have a hunch that, lightly loaded, these things probably last as long as 6.2's, which can be a really long time. I'm into my 3rd 100K & expect it will turn the big number at least one more time.

Obviously adding a remote-mount FSD after purchase should be considered.

Good luck & Blessings!

Brian Johnson, # 5044

moedog
01-27-2005, 18:10
RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT NEARLY AS GOOD AS A 6.2

David Brady
01-27-2005, 19:01
N.W.,
See if you can find out how many miles are on the current injection pump. When I bought my '94 it was on the second pump, green tag I think, second generation. I replaced it at 155K miles, I think and the latest pumps are much better.

KEVIN MUNCASTER
01-28-2005, 11:27
Moedog: I was thinking that maybe I should stay in familiar territory ! I love my 6.2, it's easy to work on, works well with the upgrades I've done. I seem to get the impression that the 6.5 is more troublesome, albeit more powerful. For what I do, the 6.2 works well, but I'd also like an ext. cab. Maybe I should look for a late 6.2 in the 88 + body style. Thanks guys for your input.

Kev :D

rjschoolcraft
01-28-2005, 11:35
If you've owned a 6.2, you will be fine with the 6.5. Especially since this one is in a 1500. Some folks are overly pessimistic.

catmandoo
01-28-2005, 12:36
my 92 ext cab was a 6.2 originally it now has a 6.5 n/a which i added my banks to.and i will never go back to a reg cab again.these have so much room.and beings it's a 94 if worse comes to worse you could always go back to mechanical pump,too bad it's not a stick,then it would be real easy.