PDA

View Full Version : Radiator will have to wait... now it's the headlights!!!!

FrankieRider2
08-26-2003, 21:13
Man, what will happen next now? I've got two fried wires on the back of my headlight switch that were shorted across each other, along with a "permanent" dome light for a time there, too. It made for a pleasant experience last Friday night when the lights took a dive.... the acrid smoke was especially nice.

After I pulled the two wires apart, the dome light resumed its normal operation.... but I've got the two melted and mangled looking wires going back into the loom coming to the switch. They seem to be melted a good ways back into the wiring loom.... as far as I could peel the tape off up under the dash, they were still fried together.

All the lights work (headlamps, brake lights, and turn signals) except for the dash lights and clearance lights.... can these wires going to the switch be repaired, preferably with a heavier gauge wire?

The truck is at the Chevy dealer right now, and they are already talking about having to replace the entire truck wiring harness to fix this if the wires can't be repaired. I assume that they are talking about the dash wiring harness, but the figure of $1,000 for the harness is being bandied about pretty freely....

There's got to be an easier fix than that...??? Would the Kennedy light harness work in this situation if a harness is required... or am I barking up the wrong tree on that one?

Any advice.... short of "BURN THE TRUCK!".... would be appreciated.

BuffaloGuy
08-26-2003, 22:47
When it rains it pours. Read a post going right now titled FirstDiesel- headlight wires. This post should answer your questions.
Ken

FirstDiesel
08-27-2003, 04:23
The Kennedy harness will not fix your burned switch wires. It would have prevented them. The wiring is way undersized for the lighting. The Kennedy harness removes the current draw from the stock harness and makes it a control for his harness instead.

You will have to fix the existing wires first and then add the Kennedy harness.

FrankieRider2
08-28-2003, 20:02
UPDATE: Dealership was able to repair the wiring to the light switch. There are now two heavier wires running to the back of the switch along with the rest of the smaller wires. All the wires that connect to the back of the switch have been replaced. Maybe a precautionary measure?

It may not be a permanent fix, but it's got me back on the road for now.

Thanks for all the advice, and I'll consider that Kennedy light harness in the near future.