PDA

View Full Version : Broken Valve or Valve Spring?

flyboy2005
08-27-2003, 05:48
Hello guys, some of you may have read my other post with regards to the severe problems with my truck. My question here is what would be the symptoms of a broken valve or a broken valve spring? My dealership seems to think it's one of the two. I understand if it's a broken valve, it'll be big bucks (frankly I'm scared). Would I get lots of black smoke and no power (I mean NO power)? You help is always what saves me money when I talk to the dealership mechanice for he always had a glazed look on his face.

Thanks again,

David

More Power
08-27-2003, 12:56
Of those who have reported a broken valve spring, they indicate a "miss" and sometimes hear a popping sound in the intake manifold.

These engines use two springs per valve, so if just one is broken, the other usually helps for a while, but cannot seal the valve correctly.

If you think you have a broken valve spring, I'd pull the valve covers ASAP to check. I know of one member who experienced a broken valve spring, and tried to limp his truck home - some 100 miles. The valve eventually dropped and severely damaged the head, the cyl wall and piston. A $10-20 fix wound up costing him an engine.

MP

BuffaloGuy
08-27-2003, 14:45
I had a broken valve spring at about 50K. Just like More Power said, they have two springs per. I had one break and it made quite a popping sound out the intake. I still had power - how much - I don't know I pulled off to the side of the road, down a short drive and shut it down.

It was an easy fix and didn't cost too much. Here's hoping the same for you!

Brandon
08-28-2003, 19:24
I haven't had a broken spring yet but I have had a few of the rocker keepers break. It has the same symptoms as a broken spring.