PDA

View Full Version : Coolant loss

Bill Voitel
10-20-2004, 08:40
Here we go my, Burb seemes to have developed an appitite for coolant past 2 weeks I have added 2 gallons 50/50 dex & water mix. The wife today today called me and told me that at a stop light it is putting out a littel white smoke. It seemes to run fine no smoke at all when you are on it ( that is normal for it)> The question is Cracked head or block or do we ever see intake man gasket fail? On the old 5.7's i have had when the heag gasket went it always pushed coolant out of the overflow tank this is not doing that just using it.....thanks for any and all advice in repair......Bill. :eek:

turbovair
10-20-2004, 10:20
See "loss of anti-freeze" posted above.

cruzer
10-20-2004, 10:27
No water goes thru the intake. It is seperate from the coolant crossover. If its' not on the ground, or in the truck(heater core), or in the oil pan then it's probably going out the tail pipe. It's time to ck the compression & pressure test the rad too. 2 gals in 2 weeks is alot.

Dvldog 8793
10-20-2004, 16:33
Howdy
I had the exact same symptoms. Do not expect your oil level to go up, or for the rig to run bad. My truck ran like a champ and never showed a oil problem. The only way I diagnosed the problem was with a cold coolant system pressure test. I took the system(cold for 1 day) up to 17psi and let it sit for about 6hrs and it lost 3psi. I then went to drain plug and VERY slowly crack it open one thread at a time until the first drop comes out. :mad: Mine was water. The new antifreeze mixes with oil and turns into a black jelly that coats the entire inside of you block, the remaining water just boils off and goes out the pipe. Another fast way to find the culprit is to check the crank case vent tube for this black jelly. My block was cracked on the number 4 web and ran up into the 6 & 8 cylinder walls about 3 inches. It was pretty drastic. Everyone I talked to said don't bother pulling the heads as that won't be the problem and even if it is you would be better off to remove the engine and do it right on the bench. The hour difference from the dealer book is 4hrs, remove & place heads vs. Remove & replace long block. GM stood behind my engine for 30% even though I was 50k miles out of warrenty.
Hope your problem is not what mine was but sure sounds familar! :(
BTW the old block will make a nice end table!
L8r
Conley Janssen

Bill Voitel
10-21-2004, 13:06
Conly thanks for the advice. topped off the coolant today fired it up started driving it after it warmed up, lots of white smoke at idle at stop lights, under load exhaust is clean. 113068 miles it's a 98 is the motor warranty to 100K or is it to 120k like the pump?
Thks.
Bill.