PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 TD Motorhomes. Manufacturers?

Dan Nicholas
10-02-2004, 05:51
From the posts, I know there are some motorhome owners with 6.5 TD in them. I'm interested looking for a used one.

I was wondering if the motorhomers could let me know the type of motorhome they own and their opinion of with them (quality of the coach, likes, dislikes...).

Any advice or info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

markrinker
10-02-2004, 06:01
Now there is a true glutton for punishment. I think I'll wait for the Duramax version... smile.gif

Spindrift
10-02-2004, 06:56
Hop on over to rv.net and look at the motorhome forum. Do a search for the 6.5TD and maybe you'll have some luck.

CareyWeber
10-02-2004, 14:43
http://rvcorraldiesels.com/id646.htm

WhiteGMC
10-02-2004, 14:53
Trek motor home uses 6.5 diesel
Jerry

dstoops
10-03-2004, 09:25
I test-drove a Flair (Fleetwood brand I think) with a rear mounted 6.5TD. Not very impressed. Much happier with the Newell (Cummins/Allison) that I eventually bought. I heard about some guy installing a 6.5TD into a mid 70's GMC FWD motorhome. That might be a better set-up.

dgidlof
10-03-2004, 17:34
I have a 1999 26' Winnebago Brave with a 6.5TD. In my opinion it is not enough motor. Runs great on the flats but when you get to a hill it's like hitting a wall. We installed a turbo master, reprogrammed the computer and installed a remote PMD. We are hitting 1000-1100 deg EGT (post turbo) on big hills at 10-11 lbs boost. Looking at adding water injection to try and drop the temp. But we are also thinking of selling this one and getting something with a cummins.

jjbouwens
10-04-2004, 07:42
I drive a 1996 Winnbago Brave 25ft ( see Euro Rendezvous 2004 TDP goes internatonal) and I agree with dgidlof as to the power of my RV. As far as the coach goes the used materials are acceptable except that the wiring is not up to standard; Winnebago just threw in all the 220V and 12 V wiring without putting them in cable ducts and throughs ; looks horrible and no color coding either.I do not know what other RV manufacturers do but this is a shame.I threw the 12V batteries out and replaced them by two 6V batteries in series: this arrangement is better. I have a Swedish made fridge but Norcold -a US Manufacturer -makes a better one. As usual with Winnebago the heating system is poorly designed. In my previous Winnebago all water lines and tanks were frozen in the winter which I do not understand since Winnebago lives in the North, but I feel that in the winter all us snow birds are in Quarz City and not on the road in the winter so there is no need for a good heating system. I have a diesel oil fueled heating system now which heats also the cooling water and very happy with it. Can you rent a RV so you can find out yourself what you like and dislike,this is what I did in the beginning.I know this is not diesel talk so if you have specific questions contact me at john.bouwens@tiscalinet.ch.

Dan Nicholas
10-04-2004, 14:42
Thanks for the replies and advice everyone. I've actually owned a motorhome for 12+ years, but am fairly new to diesels. With having to upgrade my truck, I've become somewhat comfortable with working on the GM diesel. It's one of those "working with the devil you know is better than working with the devil you don't" things.

I had my suspicions that the MHs with the 6.5 would be underpowered and even with aftermarket modifications sounds like there are still power and cooling issues.

Sounds like from the advice I'm better off to look at Cummings? Are they hard to work on or can you work on them? Any weaknesses I should look for in the Cummings?

In the class C MHs it seems the Powerstroke is more common. Any experiences with Cumming vs Powerstroke?

Sorry for deviating from the theme of this website.

Thanks again to everyone for the input. I think you all saved me a Ton of headaches.

DIRTYBIRD
10-20-2004, 16:01
There were many different motor coaches that offered the 6.5 turbo from 1993 until GMC stopped offering it in their chassis. Some were offered as "pusher" units, such as my Safari Kalahari. These units were generally light, 16,000 pounds, vs 25-40,000 pounds for units with one of the larger Cummins, Cat. or Detroit engines.
I think many RV builders did not spend any effort to enhance the engine in their "boxes". For example, Safari Treks typically had inadequate airflow to the engine because of restrictive grills. My pusher had poor airflow due to a restrictive grill, no downstream shroud, and tranny and lube oil coolers mounted within the shroud.
After many modifications that I learned about on the DIESEL PAGE, I now have an RV that I am pleased to drive.
RUSS WARREN, 30FT 1993 SAFARI KALAHARI PUSHER

BillCarry
10-21-2004, 13:59
I have a '94 Georgie Boy Swinger, 30' that I bought new. Actually ordered it to be built with the 6.5 TD and it was one of the very early M/H with the electronic IP. I now have 120,000 miles on it. Had the usual IP and PMD problems early on. Dealer replaced the IP under the extended warranty at about 80K - no problems of any kind since. I messed myself up by allowing the radiator to get clogged with cotton wood tree fluff and ended up with a couple new cylinder heads.

This is my fourth motor home. The first two were Dodge 440 powered and the third a TBI 454. The 6.5 performance is fine and compares pretty well with the 440/454. It will outpull the gas engines in the mountains when the altitude gets up there. I get about 11.5 to 12.5 mpg consistently. The M/H weights about 14500-15000 loaded.

It was about a $3000 additional cost for the 6.5 TD. I've saved about twice that in fuel cost. Have to offset that, though, with more frequent oil and filter changes.

All in all I've been very happy with it.

Wife wants a new m/h but I'm pushing for 200K before we get rid of it. It is in like new shape. We keep it in a heated dark garage so the finish is great. Georgie Boy does a pretty good job qualaity wise. But now that GB is part of Coachman I don't know if the quality is holding up.

Bill Carry
Sylvan Lake MI