PDA

View Full Version : Towing ???

Tony J.
10-02-2004, 09:16
I must first admit that I haven't studied the whole towing acronym thing enough to comprehend it. But, I've got a 95 6.5 K3500 SRW- how much can I safely and comfortably tow? Anyone tow large loads with same chassis?

Reason: I'm contemplating the purchase of a 33' bumper-pull, weighing somewhere around 14K loaded. CAN I DO IT???

Thanks in advance for any replies!!!

rjschoolcraft
10-02-2004, 09:25
A 33' conventional travel trailer that weighs 14K? I tow a 32' travel trailer with a living room/dining room slide out that only weighs 9K loaded...six bikes plus enough gear for 6 people.

Tony J.
10-02-2004, 10:01
Hey Ronnie!
(We met in Missoula)

I guess I should have specified- I'm talking toyhauler here, so loaded weight includes about 1,000 lbs. in ATV's...

I normally don't fill the h20 until I'm near my destination, and I try to dump before heading home...

Does anyone have a link or the owner's manual for my actual capacity numbers??? Unfortunately, I haven't found them anywhere. After reading a story on another site about a guy who crashed pulling more than his truck was rated for (killing someone in the process), he's now divorced (nice wife, eh?), broke (lost 1.2m civil suit, insurance covered 300K and bailed since he was illegal with weight), home, pretty much all earthly possessions, and awaiting trial for manslaughter, which will likely land him in prison for several years. WOW! Think about THAT next time you're overweight and maybe even speeding along!

Anyway, I just want to make sure I'm legal on paper.

PS- His truck was an F-250 2wd PSD, towing a 30' Weekend Warrior with 1/4 tank h2o, and 2-3 ATV's in back. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but apparently the numbers didn't jive.

[ 10-02-2004, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Tony J. ]

Billy V
10-02-2004, 14:19
The GM brochure for my 1993 extended cab k3500 drw 6.5 says 8000 lbs max tow weight for trailer hitch.
The GCWR is 14500 lbs

I would suspect you GCWR would be very similar.

markrinker
10-02-2004, 14:49
You can certainly tow that kind of weight, but to have a rig that can tackle desert heat or mountain passes and live to tell the tale - my advice would be to stay around 10K max 'on your bumper'.