PDA

View Full Version : glow relay code?

stevesnider
01-28-2005, 19:56
I have a 97' gmc 6.5l I had an injecter pump replaced at 97K . I started haveing cold start problems at 40* smoke, running on a few cylinders.
The mechanic said glow plugs . I put JK's Q Heats in 2 yrs. ago. I replaced the glow plug wiring harness and one plug that burned through the fusable link.I than replaced the link on that plug and the plug. The SES light kept coming on so I went to auto zone . Code p380
came up .They cleared codes and it came up again.
I installed a new glow plug relay today and on the second start the ses light came on again . The truck has trouble starting and won't go over 10 mph for about 5 minutes bucks and chugs. After it's good and warm no problems.
New wires, new relay, plugs aren't that old.
Sory for the long post but wanted ya'll to know everthing. Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks , Steve

stevesnider
01-29-2005, 07:34
Can't anyone out there help me out ?
Thanks, Wicky

Hye
01-29-2005, 08:18
P0380 is a glow plug code. Try the member's area and do a search on "glow plug controller".

stevesnider
01-29-2005, 10:08
Thanks Hye,
I have read every post in all the searches for glow plugs , glow plug controller and anything else posted about it . I can't find anything like my 1st.post.
Thanks ,, Steve

stevesnider
01-30-2005, 18:02
Come on guys help me out here!
I put a new GP relay in new GP wires and em still getting a SES light and glow plugs aren't working?

Any suggestions?
Steve

Hye
01-31-2005, 04:08
I haven't had the problems you describe, but I would guess that it's a grounding problem, either battery to block or block to chasis. What does the dash Glow Plug light indicate when you turn the key?

There are some posts and articles on adding a switch to extend glow times or disconnecting the coolant temp sensor to trick the PCM into thinking that the block temp is -40.