PDA

View Full Version : new 4" exhaust

Keith Richards
06-14-2004, 13:13
This topic has probably been posted a thousand times here,but I just ordered the 4" pinnacle exhaust system,because it looks real good and have seen some positive feedback here on it.Is this a somewhat necessary upgrade for the 6.5?I was gonna use the kennedy system (sorry)but this price of $300+$46 for shipping couldn't be beat and money is a factor for me.Does this system sound a lot different from stock?

More Power
06-14-2004, 15:10
The type and size of muffler will largely determine the quality of the sound. My personal preference in 4" mufflers is produced by BD (installed in 1999) - deep throaty rumble when into the power, pretty quiet otherwise.

MP

C.K. Piquup
06-14-2004, 17:16
There`s alot of concern over exhaust sound when going to performance exhaust.Truth is,diesels have real low exhaust sound levels,even less on turbo`d.The challenge is to"get"sound out of them.I too,like the sound of the muffler with the BD system.

DKeen
06-15-2004, 04:49
I have the pinnacle system. The sound is great. Very deep tone and the system install was easy. I welded mine so did not need clamps. You will be happy with it!

99gmccrew
06-15-2004, 19:32
I have the 4" pinnacle exhaust and I love the way it sounds. You'll notice a little better performance with it also. This will also help you to lower your EGT's and protect your engine. If you plan on doing any towing invest in some gauges. Pyrometer, Boost, Trans temp.

Keith Richards
06-17-2004, 18:03
Thanks for the input.How complicated is the install?I'd like to do it myself because the local shops are quotong me around 250-300 dollars just on labor.But I cant tolerate an exhaust that rattles,I'd hate to replace a perfectly good,if a little small,exhaust system for a rattle trap.

dieselrealtor
06-19-2004, 17:00
Where did you order your system from?

Keith Richards
06-20-2004, 04:18
Diesel realtor,I ordered the system through this website-pinnaclepowerexhaust.com ,check them out,i'ts the cheapest ,good quality exhaust I could find.A couple other guy's here have it and are very happy,which prompted me to get one.My old system is still mint though!Its a shame its so small.

James Schaack
06-24-2004, 17:59
keith,

I recently bought the pinnacle 4" exhaust system. I tried (for about 4 hours) to get the system installed myself, but I ran into a couple problems:

1. I absolutely could not get the hangers to work properly. Maybe if I had an adequate shop and equipment, but not with my basic tools.

2. The front sections of pipe were too short. When I slipped the pipes together to where they would be clamped, the exhaust arch over the rear axel had only a few inches of clearance.

I eventually got fed up and took it to a small exhaust shop that I've worked with before. $50 later I had the system installed to my satisfaction. The guy welded all the joints and made up custom hangers (said he could only use one of the supplied hangers). The system is much quieter than I expected, but does have a nice rumble when you get after it.

It is a good system at a great price if you're short on money like myself, just be ready as you may have to do some customization.

That's my 2 cents worth.

James

Alf
06-24-2004, 19:52
fwiw I installed my system myself. After my dog ate the instructions, it took a couple of dry runs to figure out which pipe went where. I did have to cut and reweld the tail pipe hanger, but that was the only modification I had to make. There was plenty of clearance everywhere.
I will have to reinstal my cat/soot trap before next years inspection, but Ive got plenty of time to get that figured out.
I sure like the exhaust note, not overy loud. kinda a healthy big block rumble to it.

Keith Richards
06-27-2004, 04:19
Thanks for the input.My question now is do I take it to a meineke or midas?My local shops have quoted me $250-$300 install, thats more than I knew I was getting into,which is why I'm leaning towards a meineke.They should be competant right?Iwant this to look and sound nice too though,I guess i'm answering my own question.Sometimes you have to pay for quality.Some of them guys at a meineke take their jobs as a joke.I'll just have to tell the wife I paid $50 for the install and hide the receipt.

ees
06-27-2004, 04:54
Try some other independant shops. What you are being quoted sounds like someone taking you to the cleaners. On my old gas truck I got a shop to put on a 3" cat back system with muffler, material, and labor for $150. It lasted the 6 years we had the truck and was still working fine.

I would think $50 to $75 more reasonable. The key is finding a competent shop that doesn't dump money into fancy waiting rooms and flashy landscaping. My work was done by a local chain. They have 4 stores I think.

Once our bank acount stops screaming from the head gaskets, brakes, A/C, and paint work I am in the middle of I have my eyes set on the same exhaust system.

Good luck!

DennisG01
06-27-2004, 07:57
I'm under the same dilemma (by the way, ordered it right from Pinnacle - Jerry and his son where very nice to talk to).

I'm wondering how hard this is going to be to install on my back. Has anyone out there done it on your back?

I did get a rough estimate from a local garage of about 2 hours labor time. I may check into Meineke/Midas, also. Although, 2 hours sounds reasonable.

99gmccrew
06-28-2004, 09:34
I installed mine myself on my back. I did drive up on my newly purchased ramps which helped out alot. $20 bucks pepboys. Before you do it yourself, buy or borrow a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. This way you can easily cut pipe where needed. Can make for a long day with when using only a hacksaw. Also makes removing stock system a breeze. The only time you'll need a little help is when you connect the downpipe to the turbo. you'll need someone to hold the pipe up while you tighten the clamp. I had my wife do that for me. She's a keeper. I use these times to justify buying new tools. It's usually cheaper than paying labor charges. I used the clamps and have had no problems. It really was quite easy! good luck!

Keith Richards
06-28-2004, 17:06
Sounds like something I might tackle myself.If all you think I need is a sawzall,i've got that base covered,and a little skill,(should have that base covered).thanks again.