PDA

View Full Version : New Avant engine being built- Radiator ?

schamp
01-29-2005, 04:35
I pulled the trigger and called Jamie Avant and gave him the go ahead to start building a new engine for my 1997 Suburban 2500. Going with a 300 plus engine with all the bells and whisles. Old engine has 241,000 miles on it with orginal injectors, pump has about (green tag) 140,000 miles on it with the FSD mounted on top. It started running like a dog and stalling abit. No way it would pull the mountain ranges with my 33' Jayco to the Bristol race again without a meltdown. Going with a 599 block, gear drive, machanial pump, 4 inch exhaust, guages,etc. Has anyone come up with away to keep the cruise control with a machanial injection pump?

I have read that the project truck got a 5 row radiator. I can't see going thru the old 4 row if a 5 will fit and work. I guess I could have an alumimum radiator made but 6 to 8 hundred bucks seems like alot. Does anyone have any info on the 5 row? Thanks and thanks to the diesel page. Spencer

More Power
01-29-2005, 10:46
I pulled the trigger and called Jamie Avant and gave him the go ahead to start building a new engine for my 1997 Suburban 2500. Going with a 300 plus engine with all the bells and whisles. Old engine has 241,000 miles on it with orginal injectors, pump has about (green tag) 140,000 miles on it with the FSD mounted on top. It started running like a dog and stalling abit. No way it would pull the mountain ranges with my 33' Jayco to the Bristol race again without a meltdown. Going with a 599 block, gear drive, machanial pump, 4 inch exhaust, guages,etc. Has anyone come up with away to keep the cruise control with a machanial injection pump?

I have read that the project truck got a 5 row radiator. I can't see going thru the old 4 row if a 5 will fit and work. I guess I could have an alumimum radiator made but 6 to 8 hundred bucks seems like alot. Does anyone have any info on the 5 row? Thanks and thanks to the diesel page. Spencer Hi Spencer,

In your case, I'd stick with the factory aluminum radiator - as long as it's either rebuilt or replaced.

Member Brian Pederson from WA state installed a Depot low compression "599" 6.5 in his 1994 Sub in 2002, along with a marine mechanical fuel injection system calibrated for 300 hp. Like you, he also installed a gear drive and had the rotating assembly balanced. He also has a Spearco intercooler.

To get the cruise working, he installed a factory GM cruise control module intended for a similar year gas engine (or a 1992-93 diesel). He wired it to operate with his existing cruise control switches and vehicle speed sensor. Works fine. If you get a module out of a gas vehicle, you'll need the 92-93 diesel cruise control cable (that connects the cruise module to the injection pump throttle shaft.) I have a gas unit here that I'd donate for a few pictures and a writeup on the wiring/installation..... smile.gif

Brian also installed a Peninsular non-wastegated high-flow turbo that generates about 18 psi boost pressure. He tows a big Holiday Rambler travel trailer, and says no one else (who is towing) passes him on the hills (such as Stevens & Snoqualmie passes). :D

MP

schamp
02-01-2005, 08:46
Thanks for the information. I will contact Jamie regards the cruise control. Would have posted sooner but a little ice storm took 80 % of our electrical service company system down. Still no power. Running some of the house off an auragen generator which is mounted under the hood of my 96 suburban 1500 gas. Been running the thing almost none stop. I will be mounting one on the new 6.5 diesel when I get it back from Jamie. Neat generators. Thanks, Spencer Champion