PDA

View Full Version : Guages

20050627|3|008327|000043|65.183.99.20
07-01-2004, 14:19
So I'm looking for guages for my truck. I want tranny temp, EGT and a boost guage. I's like a pillar mount but don't see a three guage pillar mount at either Kennedy or Heat.

What is the cheapest, reliable guages to buy and the best way to mount them?

rjschoolcraft
07-01-2004, 17:38
Most are of Isspro origin. Banks offers a three gage pillar pod as well as a three gage dash pod. The literature with the Banks gages had Isspro all over it.

matt-max
07-01-2004, 17:55
summit offers them also

dieselrealtor
07-01-2004, 18:01
I have been searching as well, I found some on one of the dieselpage advertisers.

I found this guy on ebay, citymuffler@cox.net .

He had a 3 gauge pillar set for $290.

Haven't priced all the ones on the advertisers here yet.

damork
07-01-2004, 18:24
I've been running VDO oil temp (tranny 250F - it is the lowest reading I could find), pyro, and boost for over 3 years and quite satisfied. Egauges.com and others have them. I looked at Isspro, Autometer and some others but the Vision series from VDO really had the sharpest clarity and matched my oem dash gauges quite well. The pyro was about $130 for a kit, the boost and temp were each about $30. I think the temp sender was ~$15 and boost tubing was either in the kit or not very high.

I'd suggest staying away from high temp readings of auto trans temp gauges - I don't know why anyone in their right mind would even consider a gauge over 250F when most fluids start breaking down at 220F or so. Synthetics hold out a little longer, but they don't last forever either.

I saw reviews of someone a while back that did tests on various gauges and it is quite hard to find real good accuracy.

Banks gauges used to be made by VDO and some I looked at were identical to VDO's I had in another vehicle. There's probably a few gauge makers that label or make products for others.

VDO USA is at www.vdona.com. (http://www.vdona.com.)

turboGMC
07-01-2004, 23:51
ebay. I get alot of cheap reliable stuff from there. SO many choices but I would also go with isspro or vdo or autometer.

I couldnt wait for ebay at the time and I purchased my gauges(no pod) from jon at CityMuffler. All went well but he forgot to send me a thermocoulple so I had to wait a couple more days but oh well I lived. Ya might want to double check he sends you everything.

On a side note I noticed the wires going to the tranny/pyro senders were just barely long enough. Like within inches. So maybe you can request longer ones.

Also when I was on a road trip, my tranny temp would creep up to 230-240max in stop and go traffic. It was hot that day and I didnt like it but nothing happened. fluid still smelled good. I just added lube guard when I got home. So I think another tranny cooler is a good idea for towing.

Here was the setup
http://www.northeastsyty.com/uploader/files/TowingTY.jpg

hey damork~ you sure are close to me. I wouldnt be suprised if we pass each other sometime in our yukons

Shuck
07-02-2004, 07:54
What range do I need in an EGT gauge?

MTTwister
07-02-2004, 08:29
Shuck - I thought they all had about the same range - if not - 1600

Shuck
07-02-2004, 08:42
I'm looking at Defi Gauges, but the one I want to get only goes to 1100.

http://www.defi-shop.com/product/bf/bf_top.html

Could I mount that post-turbo and be fine?

turboGMC
07-02-2004, 10:00
well heres the isspro post turbo gauge.
http://www.issproinc.com/graphics/estore/large/R3607VW.jpg
The scale on this is what I would go by. So if you do go the defi route, I would say if it goes off the scale, you better get off the road. my .02

MTTwister
07-02-2004, 13:07
Shuck - I noticed that gauge is 1100

Shuck
07-02-2004, 13:15
Ahhh -yes, that makes sense. There is an English version that goes up to 2000. I'll have to try to find that.

The reason I like those gauges is they LOOK slick. Most of the other add-on gauges I've seen look just that - add-on. These look really nice and have that refined style that fits in better. You're right, they aren't cheap. I don't know if I'll actually go that way or not, but it really looks like a good complete system.

damork
07-02-2004, 18:57
turboGMC

I don't see your address, but if you want email me at 95yukonatexcite.com.

I commute daily to Joliet

Put the @ symbol where I spelled it...

Your photo of your truck looks like a twin to mine - is it black? Mine is..

AC Bingel
07-02-2004, 22:33
I recently purchased the Enhanced Visibility Isspro gauges from www.dieselpage.com. (http://www.dieselpage.com.) I got the pyro, tranny, and egt along with pillar pod delivered for around $325. They sell a egt probe that clamps to the crossover pipe. Real easy to install.
The pillar pod fit perfect and looks great. They answered all the questions I had prior to my purchase.

sturgeon-phish
07-03-2004, 07:26
If the temp probe is in the crossover, would it be considered pre turbo? I can see where mounting the probe in the crossover would be a lot easier to install. Did you use the clamp style attachment?

AC Bingel
07-03-2004, 11:44
It is a pre turbo gauge. It is installed just below where the exhaust manifold meets the crossover on the drivers side. It in a clamp on style....It was quick and easy to install. I highly recommend this type of install.

Shuck
07-05-2004, 20:28
Does anyone else have any comments on this type of install? Any downside to getting the temp from only one side of the block? Is this easier than the "drilling while the engine is running" pre-turbo EGT install?

MTTwister
07-06-2004, 06:51
SHUCK - I did the pre-turbo install in the manifold, and didn't idle the engine. Used lots of bearing grease on the drill bits and tap, and backed each bit out 'many' times, wiped and regreased. The "optimum" way is to have someone start the truck as each bit punches thru to blow the chunks out, but by slowly increasing the drill bit sizes, the chips were really small, and the grease caught almost all of them.

I've had no problems with my "engine off" process, and I drove it about 4000 mi road trip after the install. It's a nice clean install, and really easy to do, if you don't mind laying across the engine bay from the front of the truck ( which is another good reason not to have the truck running, even with the fan shroud still in place - I would be 'nervous'). I used a 7/16 bit for the final hole, and the 1/8" NPT ( big tapered bugger). worked for both the EGT probe, and the boost tap. Slather the bits and taps in grease and go for it.

4x4 power
07-06-2004, 07:26
Does anyone prefer an electrical boost gauge apposed to a mechanical one? Autometer offers one of each, just the electrical one is three times as expensive. Is it any better?
Joe

99gmccrew
07-13-2004, 10:32
I have the mechanical version and I'm very satisfied with it. Very quick response to pressure changes. I would think with electrical you would have more chance of it failing by shorting out. Just my opinion