PDA

View Full Version : Time to Replace ??

3500HD
01-29-2005, 15:19
GREETINGS AND SALUTATIONS

Bought truck used in August, Now after 5000 mi I dont think I have much time left. She's had alot of extra rattle over 2300rpm and now with 132500 and an oil leake developing @ the rear main, I think it's ready to blow runs fine till 2000 rpm then acts like its got a jake brake on clangs hard a couple times while puffing black smoke smooths out and starts it again. noticed blue smoke @ 55mph the last couple weeks. had to replace push rod and lifter after first 500 mi. other than that shes ran pretty good. any speculation on how long before she gose need to nurse it as long as I can? THANKS FOR ALL REPLY'S DENNIS on edit sounds like what MAINOUS posted in ronniejoe's cracked block thread but no coolant loss yet

[ 01-30-2005, 05:56 AM: Message edited by: 3500HD ]

3500HD
01-30-2005, 16:38
What no opinion's on this. tongue.gif It would be nice if we knew what to look for before they blow :cool:

gmctd
01-31-2005, 09:44
Surf on over to the Member"s Area, perform the complete troubleshooting procedures.

Then, post the results, including but not limited to -

harmonic balancer
accessory drive pulley
serpentine belt brackets\pulleys
vacuum pump, tubing and hoses - ~25" at idle
turbo wastegate - ~15" at idle
dual-mass flywheel
any other brackets\paraphenalia which traditionally\continually vibrate loose on a dumpster.

Also - I cannot imagine why you keep referring to that big brute as "she", unless you maybe have a preference for big russian wrestler-type babes? ;)

BTW - check out that big bud draft horse in my sig - ain't no way that big stud is in touch with some mystical feminine side.........

3500HD
01-31-2005, 14:40
been to members area checked every thing thats relavant!! And I'll refrain from using the she metafor!! If my IP was acting up I'd have more response"s than I could handle. Have a nice day and thanks for the reply tongue.gif

gmctd
01-31-2005, 16:51
Alright, here's the deal - I can help you with your truck, but you gots to laugh at my jokes!

Either that - or I'm gonna take all my stuff and go in the house. ;)

Pull the pan, check the lower end, and the timing chain while you're at it - that should ease your mind, some, on the clanging.

Clanging can be the flywheel, or the steel fan, or any of the other stuff that vibrates loose on a dumptruck.

Black smoke is mostly low Boost pressure, but could be blocked or collapsing inlet air path, inside-fender-to-turbo.

Black smoke is low power - black smoke and clanging could be turbo is cratering.

Black smoke, low power, ignition rattle, and clanging could be bad fuel\water in fuel, and bad u-joints.

Water in fuel, LOTS of water in fuel, can give same effect as Jake brake, with black smoke.

Just takes looking and eliminating the good stuff - what's left is the bad stuff.

Post your findings.

3500HD
01-31-2005, 17:19
checked all the small stuff. pulling pan is a good idea.hope I don't find what I think! thanks smile.gif DENNIS

gmctd
01-31-2005, 18:40
You mentioned IP - check to see if the three clamping nuts are loose, allowing crankcase oil past the gasket, which would run back and down the rear of the block, dripping off the rear main seal area.

As would a leaking oil pump drive gasket, back where the distributor would be on a Chevy gasoline engine.

Loose IP would allow timing to vary at higher rpm, where torque from increased hydraulic loading is greater.

3500HD
02-01-2005, 14:11
THANKS FOR THE INPUT OIL PUMP SEAL COULD BE POSIBLE PROBLEM. HAD TIMMING CHECKED @ DEALER A MONTH AFTER I BOUGHT IT TECH IS GOOD AND SET THE OFFSET THE WAY I WANTED SO DON'T THINK IT'S LOOSE THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR INPUT YOU'VE GIVE ME SOME NEW IDEAS. I WORKED FOR ADEALER BACK IN 78 SO MY DIESEL KNOWLEDGE IS TO SAY THE LEAST DUSTY THANKS AGAIN DENNIS

moondoggie
02-02-2005, 09:17
Good Day!

Pleeeeeeeez laugh at gmctd's jokes - we can't afford to lose him. :D

Sorry I can't help with the noises myself - I've avoided death rattles so far.

With my EXTREMELY limited knowledge, I'd for sure check out the harmonic balancer & the pulley. If you aren't sure they're perfect, replace them.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, # 5044

3500HD
02-02-2005, 14:10
thanks moondoggie already replaced. thanks dennis

3500HD
02-15-2005, 15:09
Thanks GMCTD found jake brake problem. Wheel brgs were out on left rear letting rotor rub brake pad. havent pulled pan yet installing oil lines this week. blue smoke @ speed seems to be oil comming thru CDR valae thanks again Dennis

gmctd
02-15-2005, 21:02
While I think Jake would not care to have his name associated with that kind of break, I must commend you on tracing the problem to a broke brake. ;)

And the clanging - problem amplification by the driveshaft(s)?

3500HD
02-15-2005, 21:30
no clanging is in engine sounds like loose wrist pin