PDA

View Full Version : Truck still wanders, not so bad, though. New part won't fit.

Randee of the Redwoods
01-30-2005, 14:18
haha I just now found my grammer error. Duh. edit

So I bought a replacement rag joint("My truck steers wander-fully"). Don't fit. In fact, there is no way it would physically fit on this truck. It fits the steering gear input shaft, but the replacement from Advance is too large in diameter. Truck specs fit, but the part that came up(xxx200) is about 1/2" larger in diameter than the stock piece. Holes don't line AT ALL. So, after tearing up my steering shaft to find that out, I ghetto'ed it back together so I could drive the truck. It just snowed this weekend. I scrounged up 2 bolts that fit the rivits I drilled out on the old rag joint in order to put it back together. So I ask:
Was there a change in model years to a larger ragjoint? I'll say, guessing, that the original is about 3" in diameter while the replacement was 3.75" in diameter. If that is the right piece, I'll need a new steering shaft.(see my want ad)
The "factory service manual" I bought off Ebay is no help at all with absolutely no mention of the parts of the steering shaft by themselves so there is no picture or instructions for replacement. What gives? We checked all the 4x4 trucks for 1994 and the part number was the same. Any idea? I reckon I'll hit up a dealer now and see what they come up with.

[ 01-30-2005, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Randee of the Redwoods ]

mhagie
01-30-2005, 17:18
RANDEE,Try parts for a 93 the 3500 sometimes carry over model years.
BTY I thought a while back you said you were going the D=Max route, What happened?.
Merle

Randee of the Redwoods
01-31-2005, 17:36
$$$$$$$$ Could not afford it. The trucks I looked at were gonna run me $42k. I'm not above paying that kinda dough for such a sweet ride, but the terms and conditions I set for myself could not be met. My friend had to back out of buying my truck and after all the inqueries, no one wanted my car. So, here I stay. It's not all bad, though. Truck still runs smoothly and reliably suffering only from a weak tranny. I've deciced to treat it to a full rebuild very soon.

Randee of the Redwoods
02-02-2005, 14:20
Checked 92, 93, and 95 coupler part numbers. All the same. Seems there is a bit of discretion here as to which is the proper part. I'll be hitting a dealer next.