PDA

View Full Version : What is this harness for???

sturgeon-phish
10-02-2004, 18:21
While poking around in the engine compartment I noticed a loose harness that I did not notice prior to having my IP replaced recently. The plug end is female ~ 1" x 1/2" in with an orange and black wire in a plastic loom. The black wire goes to a gold "can" on the turbo housing and the orange wire goes to a cylindrical attachment on thee end of a tube behind the alternator. What is this wire harness for? It's not connected to anything right now, and I can't seem to find where it is to be connected. Truck seems to be running great, so should I hook this back up and if so, where?
Thanks
Jim

john8662
10-02-2004, 20:25
Could this be vacuum lines? Doesn't sound like wires to me. Sounds like the vacuum harness that goes from the turbo, then down to the vacuum pump, then over to the drivers side valve cover to the boost solenoid. See if there is a solenoid mounted on the drivers side valve cover that has an electrical connection but seems to be missing two hoses. You may not see this if the turbo-power cover is still installed.

Are you seeing BLACK smoke when you stomp on it?

sturgeon-phish
10-03-2004, 04:14
I do see black smoke and it is a recent occurence. The lines are of a larger diameter than what GM usually uses (undersized) so they may not be wires as I thought. I'll check to see about the hookup location.
Thanks
Jim

Dvldog 8793
10-03-2004, 04:33
Sounds EXACTLY like the vac lines. Be carefull moving them around as they can break easily!
L8r
Conley

sturgeon-phish
10-03-2004, 04:34
Just checked and you are correct. Does the orange or black wire goes twards the front?
Thanks a bunch
Jim

Dvldog 8793
10-03-2004, 04:37
Howdy
Orng goes to the front on the dual connector, black line goes to the waistgate and the orng line goes to the vac pump. Hope this helps!
L8r
Conley

sturgeon-phish
10-03-2004, 05:11
Yes it does help. smile.gif Just put it back on and will test drive to church. It must of been removed when the dealer replaced the IP and was not reattached.
Thanks again
Jim