PDA

View Full Version : High Oil Temp?

rjwest
06-15-2004, 11:49
What oil temperatures should I see in the summer.
( 90 plus degrees )
Running 65mph with a 3000lb truck camper A/C on
I am seeing 220-230 degrees at oil comimg out of pump ( Pre cooler).
Trans temps 180-190 max in cruise ( alu pan/3qts
extra) cooled it down below oil temps.

I looked a B&M aftermarket coolers, there biggest seems to be same size as whats on the 96..
( note, did clean behind cooler and fins ).

JohnC
06-16-2004, 07:34
OK, I'll bite. I'm guessing that's not out of line given that it's post-turbo and pre-cooler.

damork
06-16-2004, 09:59
rjwest,

When looking at coolers, go to www.bulkpart.com (http://www.bulkpart.com) and look at their TruCool coolers. They are made by Long Mfg who makes the B&M Coolers and also the oem coolers that come on GM trucks.

I got the engine oil cooler that is 1.5" thick and I believe it is 11" x 11" with threaded ports so you can put fittings of your choice in them. It uses two of the original cooler mounting holes and still fits behind the grill on my 95. Heat rejection is something like 29000 btu, so it will outdo the cooler that comes from the factory. Price when I got mine was about $75.

Tranny temperature hasn't been over 175F since (in the pan) even on 90+ days. These coolers are plate style which outperform tube and fin types. I used tube and fin types in the past and although they work, they don't do the job like a plate type.

rjwest
06-16-2004, 14:36
OK, I screwed up! Don't write to good...

Question was for Engine Oil temps. I thought 230
degrees Engine oil temp was to high.......as the
engine oil pressure drops about 5 psi at that temperature
Was trying to get less than 200 degrees....My 96
has a 11x11 inch x1 1/2 thick cooler. It was
dropped and cleaned several months ago..
Was wondering if a larger cooler was available
that I could replace original...
Will check links in reply's Thanks.

The comment on Transmission temp was not needed...
But Tran temp use to be higher than engine oil temperature, before I installed Larger pan...

JohnC
06-17-2004, 07:14
Originally posted by rjwest:
Was trying to get less than 200 degrees....I don't know if that's really a good idea. there is benefit to reaching at least 212 to help get rid of the water vapor that is an unavoidable byproduct of combustion...

what's your (actual) oil pressure at 230? If it's 45 or more you're good to go

rjwest
06-17-2004, 09:33
Less than 40psi ( slightly ) on factory gage.
starts out 45 plus drops to just over 40
untill 220 degrees than about 37-38

If I need over 212 degrees to get vapor out,
what happens in winter, never see 170 degrees.
Do I need a oil cooler cover.

JohnC
06-17-2004, 12:08
...in winter, never see 170 degrees.
Do I need a oil cooler cover. Have you verified the oil temp gauge? Put the sensor in boiling water and see if it reads 212.

The oil cooler has a thermostat and shouldn't be circulating if the oil temp is only 170.

If you're measuring the temperature of the oil in the on it's way back into the engine, it could have been cooled by sitting in the pan.

I'm more familiar with the specifics of air cooled aircraft piston engines. We figure the oil will gain about 30-40 degrees as it passes through the engine, so we shoot for 180 degrees after cooling., on its way in. That way we get 210-220 top temps. I'd expect a water cooled engine to have no more of a temperature rise, but, Dr Lee keeps telling me my aircraft experience doesn't cut it here... ;)

rjwest
06-18-2004, 07:37
Oil Temperature is a Fairly new TCI digatal
gage, reads same as outisde temp in morning,
Most lickly ok.

I have the temp probe in the oil line going to the
cooler ( from pump ) so I assume the temperature
as very close to the temperature of the oil in the pan. just figured if I could keep temperature
at 200 degrees and below I would get the best
longivity from the engine. I notice that after several hours of heavy load ( truck camper loaded and doing 65 mph on hot day ) the oil pressure drops down about 5 psi, If I shut down and let engine cool for 10-20 minutes, The pressure returns to normal range and will stay there for a few hours of driving at 220-230 degrees temp ,than drops droping off again. Seems like the oil is loosing some of its viscosity after long runs at high temps.....
Been running Delvac, going to try Delo.
Than Rotella to see if any differance.

I remember 180-200 was the magic number on the air cooled. So thats the temps I was trying to achive.But i guess that is not and item of discussion...

Ever get into Dutchess county????

JohnC
06-18-2004, 08:54
I remember 180-200 was the magic number on the air cooled. So thats the temps I was trying to achive.But i guess that is not and item of discussion...

Right. But that was AFTER the cooler! smile.gif

Ever get into Dutchess county????

Sure! One of the last places around here to have 80 octane.
(You're right, you CAN'T be TOO far upstate...)

[ 06-22-2004, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: JohnC ]

rjwest
06-18-2004, 13:55
When I retired several years ago, I worked for
Kenny & Jimmy over at the aero/mech hanger...
You can't be Too far upstate....