PDA

View Full Version : ? HowieE, Torqueloc

rjwest
06-15-2004, 14:52
How do you get torque loc to work on 97 obd2,
my 96 set a hidden code, made harsh sfifts.

HowieE
06-16-2004, 07:45
Welcome to the club.
It seams the BD Torque Loc was not designed to work with the newer computers in that it causes the computer to set a 0742 code when under acceleration and set the trans in Limp Mode, setting the transmission line pressure to about 140 psi, until you shut the engine down for about 40 seconds.
What I have learned to do to at least get some use out of the Torque Loc is as follows.
At sustained road speeds about 60 mph I use the TL in the green mode. In this mode it holds the convertor locked on decelleration down to 33 mph and thus causes my exhaust brake to hold down to 33 mph. After a decelleration below 50 mph I release the TL until my road speed is again above 55 mph. If I fail to release the TL and reaccellerate the TL will set the line pressure high as I accelerate.
At lower road speeds such as country roads, were I can't go over 60 mph anyway, I will shift into 3rd. and set the TL to the red mode. In this mode the TL will lock the convertor at speeds above 33 mph and will not set limp mode. I can accelerate and decellerate in 3rd. gear without a problem. In this mode the transmission temperature is kept as low as possible.
As I get back to open road and higher speeds I will release the TL above 55 mph, upshift to OD and switch back into the green mode.
On earlier computers th TL sets a soft code but does not set the line pressure high. If you read the parameters to set an 0742 code it looks like the problem may be caused do to TCC slip speed exceeding +20 rpms while under acceleration. With that in mind I am going to conduct an experiment that will increase the line pressure a little above factory and hope this increase hold the TCC slip speed within parameters and thus not set a code and limp mode.
Please post back as to what you have done to your engine as far as power improvements. I am curious if a stock engine has enough torque to set this code.
Tanker had his 95 set up almost exactly as mine. If he read codes the 0742 was there but it did not cause the line pressure to increase.

rjschoolcraft
06-16-2004, 08:46
Howie,

That converter slip is a problem. The guys at ATS Diesel Performance mentioned to me that GM allows up to about 12% slip. It seems that you are exceeding that. You might consider a Triple-Loc converter from ATS or other suitable alternative. This will increase your TCC holding capacity and maybe eliminate your problems. ATS doesn't list the convertor for the 4L80E on their website, but they do make one. I saw it at SEMA 2003 last fall. Talk to Clint Cannon. I'm sure he could set you up.

My 95 does set a soft code (DTC 69 "TCC Stuck 'ON'") that does not turn on the SES light. No other adverse effects have been noted. I don't know how much slip I get across my converter clutch, but it is something that I've been concerned about.

rjwest
06-16-2004, 14:35
The first Mod I tryed was the Torque Loc. from BD.

I don't have an exhaust brake, only wanted it for
2nd and 3rd gear hill climbs....

It did not work, Set hidden codes that caused a limp mode which required ign off, or reset from a ( cheap ) OBD2 SCANNER..

bd finally agreed that it would not work on OBD2

I have been using the " resister in Tran temp
sensorline " ( Ref MTTwister post ) seems to work but causes MAX pressure shifts.
ok as long as you don;t forgot to switch it out before you shift gears....( Causes HARD shifts when in)

Thanks for replys ...

HowieE
06-16-2004, 15:00
Hill climbs in south Fl?
If the Torque Loc is still in your truck try it while haveing the trans in 3rd. gear. If it acts the same as mine it shouldn't set a code and should lock at about 33 mph in 2nd. or 3rd gear which ever one you are in when the truck reaches 33mph.
If you try this do it without the other pressure adjuster turned on.
Like to hear your results.

rjwest
06-17-2004, 10:02
Not in truck anymore....I had the unit that did not control an exhaust brake, Just lock up TCC

Set codes if I let off on throttle with TCC lock up on.

My switch had 3 modes, Stock, Unlocked
or TCC locked by BD unit....

When controlled by BD, always got " limp" mode.

Seemed to get codes more easily, when hot...
Only once did I get a TCC stuck on code.

" Born in the Hills of Sussex county....
Spend much time in PA & Maine...
Drove through South Jersey last month, You gotta be tuff to drive there.

HowieE
06-17-2004, 11:38
Lets back up a bit. I thought you just had a BD Torque Loc, which is a unit that controls the TCC lock up point. This unit only has 2 operating settings. As mentioned above the TL sets the TCC at 33mph in the green mode, switch lights green, and holds the TCC locked on deceleration in the red mode, switch lights red.
The exhauxt brake switch is a seperate unit that just happens to use the TL to improve the exhaust brakes effectiveness.
What do you have? What model BD. My comments were for the Torque Loc.

rjwest
06-18-2004, 07:43
It's a Torque Loc, BD pn 1030398 on box.
" 3 stages of converter control"

Unit has three descripotions with a box for check mark. selections are
Auto Loc
Torq Loc
Brake Loc.

But none of selctions are checked.
I assume they sent correct unit

Looking for install directions now....

Switch had 3 lights as i rember. red, green white.

Kennedy
06-20-2004, 15:25
Howie,

I'll be contacting you shortly about the 96+ applications. Just had Ronniejoe's '95 on the dyno and it did what I wanted. This allowed me to control the gear selection manually with the Tech 2 so it could be tested under full load with locked converter. Now if we can muddle through this with the 96up, would be great!

HowieE
06-20-2004, 18:19
I will be on the road till the 5th of July but would like to pick this up at that time.

rjwest
06-21-2004, 16:11
Kennedy, Grat, will hold of on TCI contoller.

Howie e : I to will be gone to well into july. will send a new post on return with what ever
exciting happens on trip, I home not much.