PDA

View Full Version : Windshield wipers quit

kulwap
10-20-2004, 09:20
My wipers quit working yesterday in heavy rain. When they stopped there was a buzzing noise coming from the dash or steering column (hey I'm deaf in one ear so that is as close as I can get...). The buzz would stop when I would turn off the wipers and start as soon as I tried them again.

I searched the forum for "windshield wipers" and got a few hits and some information about soldering the circuit board or having it replaced because of a recall. I am starting a new post since the last post I saw was months old, and because I haven't checked my service manual yet. Anyway, is there more information about the circuit board, it's location and what it is I am looking for? Is there an article in the members area that addresses this?

Thanks!

turbovair
10-20-2004, 10:16
Replace the pulse module on the wiper motor assy. Its under the black cover. GM has a recall on it, but if you are not covered, its about $50 at the dealer. Mine did the same thing, and the pulse module fixed it.

CareyWeber
10-20-2004, 16:59
Originally posted by turbovair:
Replace the pulse module on the wiper motor assy. Its under the black cover. GM has a recall on it, but if you are not covered, its about $50 at the dealer. Mine did the same thing, and the pulse module fixed it. A soldering iron will fix them for the cost of your time. ;) :cool: ;)

Do a search on wipers here and in the members area for details.

Carey

Dihrdbowti
10-20-2004, 18:11
I replaced mine instead of soldering. Got a unit from Napa for around $20.

kowsoc
10-20-2004, 21:48
I re-soldered the connections on my 94 and it hasn't acted up since....about 2 years now. You can always try to fix yours first. I stay away from the dealer as much as possible. ;)

ttpost
10-21-2004, 07:05
You can also call your local dealer and give them the vin #, they can check for recalls.Checked on mine no wiper recall, but there were a couple of others.

JohnC
10-21-2004, 07:19
The wiper motor recall didn't cover that many trucks. I guess when GM finally admitted that the problem was much more widespread they initiated a service campaign to cover the rest. I soldered mine when I found out it they wouldn't cover it and it's been fine for about 8 years, but you should be able to get it replaced free at the dealer.

kulwap
10-21-2004, 09:11
Thanks for all the help. I bought a reman part for about $20 on the way home and installed it last night, the guy behind me in line had just replaced his wiper motor and was returning the core.

I pulled the old board out, I didn't see anything that needed to be soldered, and it looked to be in pretty good shape, but a little greasy perhaps. In fact it amost looked better than the part I just bought, but the reman board had ACDelco stamped on it, and the old one just said something about Taiwan. So I cleaned up the grease and swapped them out, but I have kept the old one just in case.

kowsoc
10-21-2004, 21:49
On the old one look carefully with a bright light where the connector pins are soldered to the circuit board and you will see hairline cracks. Mine had two bad pins but I resoldered all of them to be sure.

vernj4
10-22-2004, 20:10
check the electrical interface.....maybe loose; causing intermitent wiper action.

Fredeberle
10-23-2004, 08:00
Had intermitent wipers 2 nights ago driving thru Penna. I-80 in the middle of the night in pouring rain.
Nothing more scary than thinking they will die completely in the middle of nowhere. :eek:
Replaced the module this morning, easy job thanks to TDP. :D
Found grease all over those 2 contacts on arms.
Will keep the old one for a spare.
NAPA return worth $4.50 better to keep.

catmandoo
10-23-2004, 16:50
mine have been acting up for about a year on mommas sub and yesterday in a hard rain they took a dive so .today my honeydoo list consisted of checking into the wipers and i pulled the board and sure enough there were 3 pins that i could see the solder broken loose.just a tad bit of solder and some heat and back in business.that took a whole 15 minutes.so on to the next job of getting the snowblower ready for winter.

whatnot
10-23-2004, 20:40
Originally posted by JohnC:
The wiper motor recall didn't cover that many trucks. I guess when GM finally admitted that the problem was much more widespread they initiated a service campaign to cover the rest. I soldered mine when I found out it they wouldn't cover it and it's been fine for about 8 years, but you should be able to get it replaced free at the dealer. They added a lot more to the recall.
I checked about two years ago on mine and they said it wasn't covered. Then this summer I checked again and it was. It only takes them about 5 minutes to replace it.