PDA

View Full Version : Bypass Filter Setups

GMCfourX4
01-31-2005, 12:59
With the other post going on here about synthetic oil, I thought I'd see what people had to say about bypass filter setups. I know Amsoil's dual-remote setup has its proponents, but its quite a bit more pricey than some of the others out there, and I wan wondering if anyone had any info on the reasons why... Does it work differently than the others that are available? This setup from Perma-Cool (http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1791&prmenbr=361) is only $27, for example, why is Amsoil's worth almost $200? I'm not trying to start any wars here, just looking for input from people who know the way the different parts work. I've read that the Amsoil unit has a restrictor on the full-flow filter to force more oil through the bypass. At any rate, if anyone can give me some facts, it'd be appreciated.

-Chris

JoeyD
01-31-2005, 13:39
Chris, That link to jegs is just a dual remote mount. It's not a bypass system. I have the Amsoil bypass system, not installed yet if you want to check it out. It is a machined aluminum bracket with the hoses and all the fittings. I think it's worth the money. I made a set up like that on a K5 Blazer and after I had the hoses made it end up costing about $130. It does not offer bypass filtration though.

GMCfourX4
01-31-2005, 13:52
Joey;
I might just do that. We never did find time to talk about the Cummins intercooler project (mine's still not completely done...) Did you finish yours? Shoot me an e-mail and let me know when you'll be around (I might have found a place to get the tubing bent and welded for my intercooler, so hopefully I'll get that done soon)....

-Chris
GMC4by - at - yahoo.com

CareyWeber
01-31-2005, 15:40
I have the Dr Lee by-pass oil filter setup on my truck since about 55K miles it works great too!

Carey

Hubert
01-31-2005, 16:17
My $0.02. Are you going the Synthetic oil route or conventional oil?
Look at any filter one pass vs multi pass effieciency. There is a difference. Haveing 2 "regular" filters is better than one. Having a second micro filter like the amsoil set up is needed for extended drain intervals and synthetic oil but a good double filter set up is OK for dino oil in my opinion and convienant regular changes. It gives another quart capacity and added insurance when you can't stop for an oil change for a week or so.

Most all filters have a bypass mechanism so the engine is never ever starved for oil (a little dirty oil is much much better than no oil). The permacool has a bypass mechanism too. I don't know the bypass pressure but can guess you might can make it perform similar to the Amsoil system if the bypass pressure is matched to the filter resistance and flow demand.

I think the "bypass" works like this the filters are set in series (or inline). The flow takes the path of least resistance thru the filter or as pressure builds and flow demand necessitates thru the bypass which is a spring pressure controlled valve. So if the filter is too restrictive it pushes past the bypass valve and goes "around" the filter. This is true for all bypass mechanisms. Therefore not all the oil goes thru the filters all the time. Thats why you get a little oil pressure drop with these systems you add resistance to the flow both from piping loss and added resistance of another filter and/or bypass valve depending on filter flow resistance and bypass valve pressure.

Thats all the trick to it. Its just having the bypass pressure set so that some oil will go thru filter and when needed the bypass keeps the flow going fast enough so that downline of the filter never ever starves for oil.

Craig M
01-31-2005, 17:39
Hubert, your description may be correct for some units, but not for most bypass units. The Oil Gruard and similar units are a true bypass unit. They take a small amount of oil out of the normal oil stream and filter it throught a very fine filter media ( 1 to 5 micron or so). The normal full flow filter is not changed. If the bypass filter were to plug 100%, one would still have a fully functional original oil filter. The advantage is the full flow filter takes out particles in the 40 micron range. The bypass in the 5 micron range. The bypass filter has its own discharge. It is not a two pass unit.

dslpwr
01-31-2005, 18:16
Carey,

What does Dr Lees filter system look like compaired to amsoil bypass?

Kennedy
02-01-2005, 06:38
I'll have my bypass system ready by towing season this year. Been running for some time now on my 2002, and set one up on my 6.5 before it left.

The only major holdback is that it requires retorquing of the filter itself, which will be a non issue with the new head. OEM filter stays in the general original location.

GMCfourX4
02-01-2005, 06:57
Another question.... Have any of you gotten rid of the 90* oil filter adapter when installing a dual-remote setup? I've replaced the o-rings once, and it was annoying, but not too bad, it just seems that it would be one less source for a leak.... I figure with appropriate rigid elbows on the adapter, clearance wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the info thus-far.

-Chris

CareyWeber
02-01-2005, 16:05
Originally posted by dslpwr:
Carey,

What does Dr Lees filter system look like compaired to amsoil bypass? Dspwr,

The Dr Lee system uses a standard hydraulic return filter head and a three micron filter. I use Donaldson