PDA

View Full Version : 1. Boost Fooler 2. Block Heater wattage

norm
10-04-2004, 17:47
1. I am going to install boost gauge and turbo-master in a few days. Can't afford chip, etc right now, so I am looking to make a "fooler". I have searched the topic here, but am still a little confused about the wiring.
How exactly should the boost fooler be wired - what has worked for you? Fixed vs. Pot.?? etc.

2. Does anyone know the wattage of our factory block heaters? I want to put it on a timer this winter and want to make sure it can handle the heater.

Dvldog 8793
10-04-2004, 17:53
Howdy
I run a 900 watt heater plus the factory plus an onboard battery charger and have never had any problems with my 1500watt timer. going on three years now.
L8r
Conley Janssen

MTTwister
10-05-2004, 07:24
R/Shack 10K linear pot - I was led to believe it's not just 2K ohms in line with the sensor wire, but a balance with the remaining 8k to the "grnd" wire. With my fooler set at 2K, I am getting up to 13-14# boost on an uphill pull, and no codes, - watch the EGT's tho'.

There are only 3 wires on the boost sensor - and right off the top of my head - I don't remember which one I spliced,( spade connectors)-( believe it was center wire)and which one I t-tapped.

If you go the R/Shack route- the pins are fragile, I had to re-do mine,( wiggled it around too much doing the OPS relay and broke a pin) So I set the pins and overkill wiring ( smaller gauge will suffice smile.gif ) with a big load of Hot Glue this time. Search on various posts re: the boost fooler.

If nobody gets back to you sooner, I'll look up the wires this evening and post.

norm
10-05-2004, 14:09
MTT, Are you verifying 2K on the pot with your multi-meter, or is there a setting. (I guess I should go get the pot and then verify wiring with you and just do it)...
Any detail is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

MTTwister
10-06-2004, 07:47
I set it with a multi-meter - 2k seemed to be an 'average' acceptable. I haven't tried cranking it up / downto see the effects. It's a 15 turn for 10 k, so each turn is about 666 k. However, you will need to know from which end to the middle tap you're working with. That Help?

farmerherb
10-06-2004, 17:12
MTT, I see you have installed a gauge pillar pod. Did you have to paint it to match interior color? I so where did you get the paint. The dealers here in Fredericksburg Va. don't sell the paint to match my 95 K2500.

norm
10-06-2004, 18:15
MTT, I think so. I'll look at wiring diagram for truck to sort wires. Pot in line with ECM lead and jumped to ground, right?

FarmerDale
10-07-2004, 04:36
Advance Auto Parts had a spray paint that matched the grey interior on my truck.

MTTwister
10-07-2004, 07:16
Farmer Herb - I got my grey inteior paint at a NAPA store - an off the shelf match.
Dang - I forgot to look up the wiring, sorry. Must have been the Honey-Do as I cleared the front door last night smile.gif . Yep 2K in series with the ECM signal - the middle wire, the other lead tapped into the 'ground'.

damork
10-07-2004, 18:50
farmerherb

I took the paint code from the glovebox, went to an autoparts store and had them mix a small can. I used the little CO2 sprayer that is intended for small jobs to shoot the pillar and it worked just fine. Maybe overkill, but at the time I wasn't finding the right stuff in a spray can.

I see NAPA sells the CO2 sprayer now. Seems it was about $15.

[ 10-09-2004, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: damork ]

jspringator
10-09-2004, 14:20
Pull out your ash tray and take it in for a match.

a5150nut
10-10-2004, 21:08
Use two legs middle and end on the pot. I think it was a brown and a green wire. I put mine under the dash at the ECM. Out of the heat and vibration under the hood. I'll try to check this week.....been working 5 - 12s and a 9 so time is short at home.

norm
10-11-2004, 16:47
Same here, not enough time in the day...I think I hear my wife calling...
The three wires look like black, green, and grey. According to the (chilton) schematic, they all go to ecm, apparently the green is the signal lead, as the other two are paralell in other sensor circuits. If I had to guess, I would say grey is ground and black is voltage?? So should it be green spliced one end and center on pot and other end of pot to grey?
I guess I am paranoid about blowing up my ecm.

rjwest
10-12-2004, 02:32
I made one, it worked, but just did not like
the cheap construction.

Kennedy makes a GOOD boost fooler, plug in at
sensor, connectors are OEM style and has a trim pot for adjusting.....

But be carefull, you will want an intercooler next...