PDA

View Full Version : Installing transmission and EGT gauges.

woodchuck
06-16-2004, 10:28
I have purchased a pair of Autometer gauges to add to my "baby". I seem to remember reading somewhere that someone used the transmission oil pressure port to install his sender. Has anyone out there done this, and how did it work? If I can install the gauge without cutting into the oil cooler line I think I will be way ahead.

For the EGT sender it looks like drilling into the downpipe at the turbo end will be the best plan. They sure do flatten out that pipe don't they.

Thanks for the help. smile.gif

john8662
06-16-2004, 11:00
I mounted the transmission sender in the transmission in a pressure tap port on the drivers side of the transmission above the shifter linkage. I get good reading there, others on here use that position also. For the turbo you'll have to establish which guage you got. Did you get pre or post turbo guage. If you got a pre turbo guage it will have a red-line at 1250 degrees EGT. If you got a post turbo guage then it will be red at about 950 degrees EGT. For a post turbo intall, you put that in the downpipe. For a pre-turbo install, you will instal the sender in the crossover pipe, I installed mine on the drivers side of the crossover about 3" down from the connection to the manifold in the pipe. Have fun, once you get them installed and working you'll wonder how you ever drove it without them.

About the downpipe, yeah they sure did put some flat spots in it, I am saving for an exhaust system to replace that..

Cowracer
06-16-2004, 11:07
I also used the pressure tap port on the drivers side of the tranny for over 6 months and 20,000 miles now with zero problems.

the biggest problems I had in the install was getting the wires from the sensors from the outside of the cab to the inside. I wound up drilling a hole in the floorboard near the kick panel.

Tim

woodchuck
06-16-2004, 11:44
OK guys, thank you both! This will help a lot.

MTTwister
06-16-2004, 11:51
I used the pressure tap port also - I ran the wires ( extened the harness) through the firewall plug that would accomadate the accelerator cable, if there was one. Actually have so many wires through that gromet, that I had to pull the grommet ot get the remaining wiring and boost tubing in, and then used a very short section of plastic wire loom protector to cushion the mess against the metal edge.

EGT - I know the Isspro has colors, not sure of the Autometer - all the same gauge range anyway - post turbo reads @ 300 cooler. It's not that difficult to tap pre-turbo ( scary, but not difficult). Kennedy has a tech tip on where and how on his site.

Throw in a boost guage too, they're fun!

HammerWerf
06-16-2004, 12:30
On my '99 suburban, I was going to use the pan drain plug, discovered the threading is metric. Awaiting the metric bushings from ISSPRO. Looked at the pressure port, but was not sure the sender would not interfere with the bundle of wires right in front of the port.

Hammerwerf

woodchuck
06-16-2004, 14:16
My EGT doesn't have any colored areas, so It will do either. Did you take off the crossover pipe to install the probe or just drill a hole and use the "hose clamp"? I don't think I have any wires in the way of the pressure port on the transmission, so that should be easy.

Thanks again for all the help.

john8662
06-16-2004, 19:52
woodchuck,

I removed my crossover pipe for the drilling of the hole for the probe and used the clamps. I removed it to keep from getting metal shavings into the exhaust side of the turbo. Better safe than sorry...

turboGMC
06-16-2004, 21:21
well I finished my gauge saga a few weeks ago and took some pics while I was there. I might rant a little here but what I thought was a one night job turned into a couple three looong nights. ANYWHO- Since you have the autometer gauge (0-1600 I believe) the chioce is yours, pre or post. I would go with pre since the post turbo gauge is mainly used for turbo cool down and not real time intake temps. I would also choose this since im more concerned about the temps when im pullin a heavy load, not so much when im done and just wait a few minutes to let it cool. I thought the best spot for a pre turbo was in the turbo intake casting, as per j.kennedy. So I did it there and its kinda a pain getting a drill/tap past all the other mumbo jumbo. If you do decide to do it there you will need to buy a long bit(around 10" from what I recall) according to what the tap calls for. You will also have to come up with something to hold the tap on a extension. I had the tap go into a socket then a extension then a allen soecket into the extension so I could still put the tap handle on it(if that maked since). you must also do this when the engine is idling. fun. Ok so theres that onto the tranny temp. Well since the port on the side is alright but the output line is best I decided to go for the gold. Well I was trying to figure out which was the output and input I gave j.kennedy and heath a call. They didnt know exactly. Ive always heard that tranny fluid should go through the cooler first then the radiator so it doesnt get too cool in the winter. They said that makes since but still unsure. So they told me to start it cold and feel which line gets hot first(output). I did, and it went to the radiator first. Still unsure I took the top line off, started, spewed all over and still showed that the fluid goes to the radiator first. So thats the line I tapped. So you will have to get a tee that will accept tranny line compression fittings and accept the sensor. not a big deal I found one EZ. Thats that and I still had to find a way to get all these wires to my dash. I couldnt find any grommets locally(Im in BFE) I just used a pvc grommet and drilled a 1" hole which worked perfect. sorry so long, not sure if im forgettin anything. Oh buy the way if you use a autometer boost gauge, throw away the hose they give you and go buy some airline hose for air brakes. wont kink, more durable. I cant believe autometer gives out the crappy hose they do. http://www.northeastsyty.com/uploader/files/closepvc.jpg
http://www.northeastsyty.com/uploader/files/closetranny.jpg
http://www.northeastsyty.com/uploader/files/closeEgtGauge2.jpg

HTH ~ Rich

JDeere
06-18-2004, 10:12
I installed Autometer's Cobolt EGT and Trans Temp gauges two weeks ago.

For the EGT, pre-turbo seemed the way to go, both in terms of taking the most meaningful temperature measurement, and ease of installation. I went with the crossover install as per Kennedy's site. The drilling, tapping, and installation of the probe was the easiest part of the whole job, taking no more than 20 minutes (if you don't count the time spent looking for 1/4" extensions/socket combinations to hold the tap!). With the engine running I seriously doubt you would have any metal shavings in the turbo...all over the garage, engine compartment, and in what little hair I have left, definitely! smile.gif

The trans temp was a different story. Autometer recommends installing in the pan, but I've heard good reasons for installing in the cooler line and the pressure port as well. After much deliberation, mine went into the side of the pan. The only concern I have now is that the sensor could encounter a piece of flying gravel. Being faily flimsy, I think the sensor would lose. I'll be making a shield for it this evening.

One other point about the Autometer guages. The lights they put in the guage are faily bright. Even if you wire them to the dimmer circuit, I found on my '98 that even at the truck's dimmest setting, the guages were still too bright. However, a 350 ohm resistor wiring into the guage lighting circuit cured that problem. I also wired the lighting power through a switch so I could shut off the lighting to the guages altogether if I want.

woodchuck
06-24-2004, 10:08
Hi All,

I want to thank again everyone who posted to help me on this upgrade. I have completed the instal. and am very happy with my new gauges.

I installed the trans.temp sensor in the pressure port, and my results after driving to work and home for a couple of days are temp about 130 on the way to work, (about 20 miles mostly freeway) early morning, and about up to 150 as I near home in the afternoon.

The pyrometer went into the crossover pipe held in place with the "hose clamp". I have never driven with an EGT so I was surprised at how quickly it responds! I see up to about 900 or a little more during acceleration, and maybe 600 to 700 while crusing at freeway speeds. This with an empty truck. This weekend we will hook up our little trailer for a quick trip to Oregon, so I will know a little more about pulling hills etc.

The instal went very well, and I am very happy with the results. Too bad these weren't standard equipment on this turbo diesel truck. Oh well.

I love the truck, and even more now. Have a great day!

Woodchuck