PDA

View Full Version : Can an Autozone-Type Scanner find Non-SES Codes

joed
06-16-2004, 11:38
Has anyone had success with Autozone (or similar, non-Tech II scanner) being able to retrieve codes that don't trip a SES light?

The reason I ask is because I am starting to suffer classic FSD failure symtoms on my 98 - cutting out and engine completely dies occasionally. I still have a little left on the 120K extended waranty so I took it to the dealer. I got the seemingly standard story that they found no codes stored so they can't replace the FSD. I replaced the lift pump and fuel filter to no avail.

I want to avoid having to keep going back until I know a code was tripped.

Thanks in advance. Joe.

MTTwister
06-16-2004, 12:10
Can you leave it with them ( stealers) ?

Local GM had mine for 5 days ( I was out of town, so that helped. ) Mechanic finally had it on the road, hooked up, and it started registering codes. Mine would drop the cruise when it hiccuped - scared the poop out of the guy evidently. ( I warned 'em)

rjwest
06-16-2004, 14:17
If pump is going bad I doubt it will set codes.

What are your symptoms?

My pump was goig bad for a Year, Finially got real
bad and I payed to get it fixed last june.

Called GM past april, they sent me a check for pump and labor.........

The stealers all wanted money or did not want to honor warrenty. If I had known GM would pay I would have changed pump sooner..

joed
06-17-2004, 05:57
The symptoms are intermittment hesitating (surging) and sometimes the engine will completely die and be rather hard to start. So far it does start back up, sometimes it takes a few attempts to keep it running. It seems to occur more at lower throttle settings (closer to idle), as I've towed with it and it's pulled strong under higher throttle settings, without hesitating. It will do it both with cruise on/off.

From what I've read, it seems to be failing FSD symptoms, and the dealer even said they thought it was most likely the culprit, but claim GM won't authorize replacement unless a code is stored. I've had good service from the dealer in the past, so I'm more inclined to trust them than not.

As most of you do, I find this very frustrating because it really is an unsafe scenario having to hope it doesn't decide to die going through a busy intersection...I know I can buy an aftermarket relocated FSD kit, but since I'm still under the warranty, and it is a safety issue, I feel like GM should foot the bill.

I guess I may be forced to "encourage" a code, although I'm not entirely sure how to do that.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Joe.

rjwest
06-17-2004, 09:50
I would suggest you check the lift pump and other items.

Also , if you are going to keep the vehicle, I would suggest a rempte FSD. Than you can easily swap to find out if it is the Pump or FSD.

I had a new remote FSD die on me within 3 months, this problem , along with pump problem were driving me nuts ( short trip) When I finally got a good FSD , I was able to
swap both Pump FSD and Suspect bad Remot FSD to
isolate problems....

PUMP FSD: Would not start cold, or start and quit, Than next day , OK, than bad again.

BAD REMOTE FSD, quit when hot, restart run awhile , than quit...

INJ PUMP, Ran a little rough at 1600 rpm with TCC locked. Would Quit when warming from about 40 degrees to operating Temp, usually about
20-30 minutes, VERY Intermittant, Uaually
quit when letting of throttle .

Only ever set 1 code in a year ( Inj pulse too short )

Had all the same crap from the GM Stealers...
1 Dealer told me same thing( have to see it fail)
Asked him how,He shrugged his shoulders, pointed to one in back, been here 2 weeks, drive it every morning.

When I was in Montana, Starting to have " Eng Quits" every morning, Said the hell with this,
not going to let GM ruin my trip,
Stopped at Rocky Mountain Diesel, Got a Gomers pump, Truck now runs great.....No low speed niss either.

Read old post, there is a way to SET a code....
Good luck.

Turbine Doc
06-17-2004, 17:45
Any mechanic with a Snap On MT2500 can read codes & event history logs, most independent shops have one of those & will read for significantly less than dealers, some for free, it does not do all that a T-2 eill do but it will do most trouble shooting you might need.