PDA

View Full Version : Standalone 4L80E controller

Cowracer
06-16-2004, 12:25
While doing some research on the 4L80e tranny, I came across a hot rodders site that lists a GM P/N for a standalone controller for this transmission.

Could this be the way to make a mechanical pump work in a 94 up automatic truck?

Here is the quote:

The 1991-1993 6.5L diesel powered trucks that used the 4L80E transmission had a stand alone transmission controller (and so does the Rolls Royce that uses the 4L80E transmission 8-)). The GM part number for the 1991-1993 truck controller is 16147609 and the part number for a stock chip is 16173828 (I think the broadcast code is BACZ and I think this is a 1992-1993 1 ton CK truck). You can use this controller and then a DRAC module to get the speed data correct for your gearing and tire size. The controller really needs to have at least the engine rpm and vehicle speed data. Several companies should be able to make you a harness for this or you could buy the GM factory harness and modify it." I think a DRAC module is the same thing as a VSSB
Whadda yall think?
Tim

Bobbie Martin
06-16-2004, 13:49
Yes and no. Its a little more involved than this, but it can be done. DRAC is basically the same as VSS(B). I'm working with More Power on a way to get this info on TDP and hope to have it ready soon.

Billman
06-16-2004, 14:44
Dealer mechanics refer to the VSSB as a DRAC.

I think it stands for Digital Ratio Adapter something... I forget the "C".

More Power
06-16-2004, 15:10
The Jet 4L80-E conversion I installed in the 6.5 project truck did not require vehicle speed input (from the DRAC or VSSB).

It came with a new harness that connected to the main trans port, and to the input & output speed sensors of the trans input shaft (same as any other 4L80-E installation - to monitor slippage).

The computer also requires engine speed and throttle position sensors. These are available as stock GM items from a GM dealer, less frequently at salvage yards or possibly The Diesel Depot (who had a few 4L80-E computer/conversion systems in the past).

MP

rjwest
06-17-2004, 09:55
More Power, Is the controller a JET unit,
the one you program with a Laptop.
and can get TCC lock up in 2nd gear????

Please, More info, It may be of great interest
to others on the forum.
Maybe a NEW Thread with what you did and results..

THANKS.......