PDA

View Full Version : used 1998 6.5

6.2L Driver
10-20-2004, 09:42
Hello

I am looking at a 1998 6.5L turbo diesel Z71. It has 165,000 km on it. What should I look for, what kind of things will be starting to ware out. Thanks

Phil Holmen
10-20-2004, 10:49
I see that we are not too far apart, Luseland is only a couple hours away..The first thing I would do is go to the nearest dealer with the vin number and get the maintenance history, it will tell you how many pumps this truck has went throught that were under warranty and any other work performed at a gm dealer..pull the oil fill cap off with the truck running, there should be no smoke, if present there is blowby, go to the dealer first thing in the morning and ask to take for a drive, observe how well it starts, it is not cold enough here yet to have to worry about plugging it in. If it is hard starting, COULD need glowplugs, batteries, battery cables and even a starter. If at a dealer is it still eligable to add powertrain warranty, if so It MAY be worth investing as you only have 30,000km of pump warranty left.

Low_Bridge
10-20-2004, 13:56
I'm going to be negative -

By your signature I'm guessing your in a non electronic diesel now- Just do a lot of reading in the 6.5 forum to see the wonderful world of electronics blended with heat & potential corrosion in a diesel motor. I have a 6.2 motor & I got all the bugs out of it & the thing is like the energizer rabbit now. I have a 6.5 turbo & it has a whole added pile of electronice weak points. I am no way the expert on this subject. So take you best advice for those who have more time under their belt with them Just my sour grapes 2 cents! :cool:

kowsoc
10-20-2004, 22:09
I've got a 94 and aside from an FSD failure and the wiper controller problem it's been the best truck I've owned....340,000 km's and still runs like new!

Low_Bridge
10-31-2004, 03:16
Well,

Just curious? did you take the plunge? Hows it going?