PDA

View Full Version : It's ALIVE

eracers999
02-01-2005, 16:37
22 working hrs to build and install. Fired right up, exellent oil psi, timing set, 20 min breakin oil changed, 20 mile test drive went well, no leaks no surprises, so far so good, more to follow.

Kent

rjschoolcraft
02-01-2005, 16:52
Congratulations!

Hope it all goes well!

eracers999
02-01-2005, 16:57
Thanks RJ, same to you, i think you and i will be pretty close in set up when it is all said and done.

Kent

Billman
02-01-2005, 17:19
You weren't down long at all, Kent. Which probably means long nights workin' on it.

Good luck.

A 'Date' with the rollers any time soon?

eracers999
02-01-2005, 17:33
Billy: Seemed like a long time, finger tips still raw from pushing in wrist pin clips. Polish dyno will have to do for now, this project set me pretty far behind.

I will have to say it was a lot of work.

Thanks for the good word!

Kent

More Power
02-01-2005, 19:18
Good job! There's always a tremendous sense of satisfaction at the first start - after the all the work.

MP

moondoggie
02-03-2005, 06:46
Good Day!

Congratulations & all our best wishes. I would bet you've just built the engine GM should have built for all of us in the 1st place.

I have a question. Don't laugh, I don't know much about cars (OK, go ahead & laugh, what the heck ;) ). You list "Amsoil Synthetics" in your profile. When will you begin running synthetic oil in your engine, or are you already using it? In the really early days of Amzoil (z, not s) (we're talking 30 years or more ago), they said not to run synthetic oil in a gas engine until > 6000 miles, & > 40,000 miles for a diesel. I figure with your knowledge of motors & such, you or someone else here on the Page will know the right answer to this.

I pretend that some day I'll get the chance to break in a new motor (hopefully in a new vehicle), so I've always wondered about this.

Thanks & Blessings!

Brian Johnson, # 5044

eracers999
02-03-2005, 22:22
Brian:

Thanks for the good wishes i appreciate that!!
It seems as though claims about when to run synthetics have been all over the place. Stop and think about GM, using a factory fill mobil 1 on a brand new zr1 corvette engine. Or some of the new diesels (line haul) comming out with factory fill mobil delvac 1 in them. I had a conversation with a mobil tech some time back and his thoughts were that it just takes a little longer to seat up the rings if you use synthetics real early during break in.

Her is what i did with my new 6.5 .
I fired it up on 15 40 pennzoil long life, ran it 20 to 30 min or so, then dropped that oil and filter and run another round of pennzoil thru it about 150 miles, at that point and all along i have been monitoring blo by, it doesent have any and it really never did from start up, i figure at this point it is ready for me to put the amsoil in, so i did, still no blo by and 200 miles later i have oil so clean i can barely see it on the stick. I am very pleased with the way this motor is comming in, and am confidant it was ready for a good synthetic. Amsoil has a great product and as you can probobly figure that i use it any place there is oil. smile.gif
Thanks/ Kent

moondoggie
02-04-2005, 05:06
Good Day!

Cool!

I was over on the Duramax 6600 forum recently, & someone linked to pics of his oil & oily dipstick. 35K miles (I think) on the DMax, just B4 his regular change @ 3K miles,& that oil didn't look like it had been used 5 miles in a gas engine - it was almost as clean as new.

I wish/hope/pray for the same for you. I'm running 5W-40 Rotella Synthetic in everything I own, & hope it's doing some good. (I'd prefer to run Amsoil, but even at the 55 gallon price, it's way more than the $12.84/gallon $3.21/quart I pay Wally for the Rotella.)

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, # 5044

fastcat800
02-04-2005, 17:29
Kent, which Amsoil did you put in? I am running 5W-40 European Formula in mine and thinking of just regular 10W-40 next oil change. How long do you run your Amsoil?

eracers999
02-04-2005, 21:56
Dave:

I run the 15-40 severe service diesel oil. I use it in all my vehicles and equipment. In everything but this i run it 20k, i will run this 10k and do the filter at 5k, or just change it when i think it needs it. Being that this motor is new clean i may try to keep it that way and see how it does. I am in the over protective mode right now, ya know.

Kent