PDA

View Full Version : How loud are aftermarket exhaust systems

Govt issue
10-05-2004, 08:18
I am considering a jk exhaust for my 96 k2500 burb. How much louder is it than stock. Any db readings out there. I can post my stock reading for comperasinon. I would like a deep low tone, not a glasspack sound.

morgan
10-05-2004, 08:39
GI,
There are many forum topics along this subject. Search the archives and you'll find alot of info.

Hey, you're in Mississippi, just straight pipe it. I did, and it sounds great. I am considering putting in a 4" pipe that exits in front of the rear passenger tire.

sk8rdi16
10-05-2004, 13:08
Govt Issue, where in MS are you? I am going to school at USM in Hattiesburg...

Pat

gmenor
10-05-2004, 14:31
I just hung JK's exhaust system couple weekends ago. The sound is a deep grumble but, the turbo whine is impressive. The installation was a snap just under 3.5 hours (not including all the breaks). Hardest part was putting the pyrometer back in.

Shotuscnc
10-05-2004, 19:28
JK's exhaust is loud... extremely with passenger side windows cracked or down...

fine when you are alone... terrible with conversing passengers and nice weather around town.

DA BIG ONE
10-06-2004, 01:46
I run the ATS 3", at idle and around town has slight sound increase over stock level sound kinda like a rumble, stomp on it and is loud at upper rpms like a gasser, but not as loud as my Flowmaster American Thunder in my Z-28, highway driving is ok.

Happy with it!

sturgeon-phish
10-06-2004, 07:50
When considering exiting the exhaust in front of the rear wheel, keep in mind the exhaust will possibly stain your wheels, and it will get dirty quicker.
Jim

moondoggie
10-06-2004, 08:11
Good Day!

I have JK's exhaust on our Sub. I would HIGHLY recommend his exhaust system.

With the factory exhaust, you were aware you were riding in a diesel; with JK's, you are only aware of the exhaust noise (all windows up). Without access to a sound meter, I can't say how loud it is. I realize I'm one of the 1 or 2% of DP members that doesn't like the sound level. From a couple years of reading the Page, it's obvious most folks LOVE the sound this exhaust makes.

As stated, rolling down the windows increases the noise considerably. I don't notice the turbo with the windows up; it's pretty noticeable with the right-side windows down.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Dvldog 8793
10-06-2004, 14:03
Howdy
I have JK 3.5 with the muff turned backwards. It is loud and I LIKE IT. :D Call me an overgrown kid but I really love loud clean rumbly exhaust tones and the turbo whistle is SOOOOOO cool. Anyways my truck is LONG and that helps with the interior noise level. I never have any problems talking with the kids sometimes I have problems hearing my wife but that could be selective! :D ;)
Get the JK and start with the Muff backwards and the nif it too loud turn it the right way. all this does is reverse the slots cut inside the muff.
L8r
Conley

Perry
10-06-2004, 19:57
If you want a quiet aftermarket exhaust, I highly recommend the 3" system that is sold by Heath Diesel. It has a louder mellow burble at idle but it seems just as quiet as the stock exhaust while driving around town or on the highway.

My Suburban doubles as my kiddie hauler, so I needed a quiet system. But I do get exhaust pipe envy when I park next to other diesel trucks....

Govt issue
10-07-2004, 07:42
Thanks for the help'

Govt issue
10-07-2004, 08:02
Thanks for the help'

Kennedy
10-07-2004, 12:11
A 3" system will be a bit less noisy, BUT that is because it is marginal/undersized and the exhaust "wooshes" as it exits. The 4" system is a good bit louder than a 3.5 also. I've found 3.5" to be the "happy medium" size. Differences come from velocity, and volume ...

cruzer
10-07-2004, 12:11
From past posts and talking to JK. 3" gives more power than stk, but 3.5" gives even more power than 3". There is no or minimal gain going from 3.5" to 4".

I have 3" Banks and have heard a straight pipe instead of a muffler works better for power. That's my plan until I need new, then it goes 3.5".

Currently, I hear more engine & turbo noise from under the hood than exhaust.

Billman
10-09-2004, 04:31
Couldn't agree with you more cruzer.

Engine noise is horribly loud. Headache loud.

Turbo sing I can deal with...

Dihrdbowti
10-09-2004, 05:37
I have the stock system now and all I hear is tire, engine and road noise. Every now and then I might hear the turbo but just barely. I just ordered JK's system and am waiting patiently smile.gif for it's arrival. Hopefully soon!! Woo Hoo Need a little rumble in my drive. :D

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
10-12-2004, 15:38
I've been interested in JK's system for sometime myself. I wonder if someone could take the time to post decent quality audio files of what this system sounds like on a stock truck. Maybe from inside with windows up, with windows down, and maybe even from outside as the truck passes by under acceleration and/or at idle. Anyone up to task?

Chad Mac
10-12-2004, 16:18
I just installed a 4" Pinnacle system yesterday on my crew cab longbed . . . no cat and free flowing muffler. It is not unpleasantly loud below 2200 rpm, more of a powerful sounding big block grumble. Beyond 2200 rpm, it starts to increase significantly in volume. I cruise at about 2100 rpm on the highway so it is not bothersome to me. However if my cruising rpm was 2500, I would grow tired of it quickly on an extended drive. I still haven't heard the turbo whistle but I've only had one day to listen for it. It is a sound that some could love but I won't hesitate to put a more restrictive muffler on it if it does get louder . . . I'll keep you posted.

Dihrdbowti
10-13-2004, 18:44
Well I received JK's exhaust today. Will get it installed this weekend. Unfortunetaly I live in a smog state so I need the cat but that wont stop me from running offroad for the next few months without it. :D If it's too loud I will look at doing a resonator. Will post an update this weekend after the upgrade.

Dvldog 8793
10-14-2004, 03:17
Howdy
I have heard of some people that remove the insides of the cat and then weld a pipe that flows straight through. This is done to TEST a possibly defective cat. tongue.gif I'm sure that after 200,000 or so miles of testing the cat could be replaced........ :D

CareyWeber
10-14-2004, 03:31
Originally posted by cruzer:
I have 3" Banks and have heard a straight pipe instead of a muffler works better for power. That's my plan until I need new, then it goes 3.5". cruzer,

I thought the Banks system was 3.5"??

Carey

Keith Richards
10-14-2004, 05:35
Anxious subman asked for an audio file of truck idling by, or motoring by.I had my wife drive it by me while on the outside passenger side,and it has an unbeleivable turbo whistle coming right through the exhaust.Thats with the 4" pinnacle.Really stands out and doesn't sound quite like anything out there on the road,pretty impressive.Not too loud though.