PDA

View Full Version : Nat Transportaion Safety Commity - FSD/PMD

Christian Rokhgar
10-05-2004, 10:23
I plan to contact the Nat Transportaion Safety Commity.

Read my topic "A letter from Stanadyne" in this forum.

Have you ever been in a unsafe situation because of a stalling engine in traffic caused by a Stanadyne FSD/PMD failure?

Please add your name and mail address to this topic if you would like to go with me this way .

Chris

Christian Rokhgar
10-05-2004, 10:25
Chris Rokhgar
christian.rokhgar@liwest.at

ttpost
10-05-2004, 15:58
marvin r townsen
TOWNSENSTRADING@AOL.COM
503-257-5106

sk8rdi16
10-05-2004, 18:32
Pat Heidingsfelder
heidingsfelderp at bellsouth dot net

gwaidman
10-05-2004, 19:57
Grant Waidman
gwaidman@telus.net

JTodd
10-06-2004, 04:07
jtodd@arc-blue.com
317-710-1709

DennisG01
10-06-2004, 04:36
Dennis Galligani
dennyandkim@hotmail.com

autocrosser
10-06-2004, 05:43
I think it would be more effective if each person were to file their own report. Chris appears to not be located in the US and I doubt that the NTHSA would follow up on a report from a non US resident.

I filed on about a year ago and plan to file another one. To be effective the report should quote s safety problem not jus a inconvenience caused by the failure.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

VA_GMC
10-06-2004, 17:14
There should be a page in your owners manual with the contact information

or

web page (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm)

autocrosser
10-09-2004, 03:25
I thought I would bring this back up to the top and maybe get a few folks to file a complaint with the Nat Transportation Safety Admn. Filing a safety complaint with safety related failures incindents is about the only way we will get Stanadyne to do anything about the PMD's

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Fredeberle
10-10-2004, 11:08
I also filed about 15 months ago. I believe they told me at that time they only had about 6 complaints filed on this subject. :confused:
Not enough of us are bothering to file. :mad:

autocrosser
10-10-2004, 15:44
That's the reason ther will never be any action on it. folks complain but don't do any complaining where it counts.

computer monkey
10-11-2004, 11:59
Keep pushing it to the top to help remind people.

stig
10-27-2004, 15:05
Submitted my complaint to the NHTSA. This is a serious issue that GM needs to address. Any lawyers around here want to put their 2 cents in?

autocrosser
10-27-2004, 15:33
I looked on their web site for reports on the failures and mine is the only one listed. We need to get more filed to get their attention.

Fredeberle
10-28-2004, 11:09
autocrosser,
That's an interesting comment. :mad:
I have my copies of the letter and form I sent on Jan.17,2004.
Did you send yours to Washington or a regional office ?
I sent mine to the regional near me.
Is it possible the regionals are sitting on these complaints and not forwarding them to the main office ? :confused:
We will never get anyplace if that is happening !

More Power
10-28-2004, 11:22
I'm with you in that I think the DS4 pump reliability problem should've been corrected long ago. However, I wonder how many years or miles a manufacturer should be held accountable.

Is the 11-year/120,000 mile warranty not enough?

If not, what would it take for a reasonable person to be satisfied?

MP

Low_Bridge
10-28-2004, 15:42
Don't complain about the things you permit. Don't take it wrong!

We have the acess to this forum to fix, change out, out move on to another model.

Yes it is a Pita! I would'nt let the wife drive the Truck. I was at least bright enough not to let her out in it till it was fixed. Meaning I shouldn't have bougth it in the first place( But I'ts my fault I didn't leave the 6.2 forum & do more reading first over here.)

My 6.2 has sat for 2weeks & I jumped in it today
& put 100 miles on it.

Were not going to be happy untill we get stabel fixes for our trucks or modify them for depenability.

A GM golden calf will be years down the road My wifes burb will either be modified or gone! :cool:

catmandoo
10-28-2004, 17:12
i'm also to that point,modification to mechanical pump.my old 6.2's just hop in and go ,my 94 sub hop in and pray it starts and keeps running.i put emergency road service insurance on it,because i trust it soooo much

JohnC
10-29-2004, 06:37
Originally posted by More Power:
Is the 11-year/120,000 mile warranty not enough?I think that if there were a reasonable expectation that the part would LAST for that long it would be fine. Problem is that the average seems to be more like 40-50K, so once the part is off waranty, you have no expectation that the one you just bought is going to last. Of course, you could treat it as a tune up part and change it out every 30K miles. Only a penny a mile... :mad:

Fredeberle
10-29-2004, 06:56
I believe a reasonable person is one that can get into their vehicle and be quite sure it will start & take them where they want to go & back without $500-600 in parts in the glove compartment and their fingers crossed.
Especially those who can't do any repairs themselves !
Where is the GM " professional grade " ?

autocrosser
10-29-2004, 10:35
Fredeberle,

I filed mine on the web site at the link I posted which is the national office. Filing thing at the regional level is dangerous. It's up to the whims of who ever picks it up to decide to forward it on. I worked for the govt for 34 years at the management level so I've seen it all.

If you go to the web site and do a search you will find only one report filed there in their database.

More Power
10-29-2004, 12:09
Here are my thoughts about the DS4 reliability and what I'd do about it.

I'd take advantage of GM's 11/120 warranty for as long as the vehicle was within the warranty period - unless continuing poor reliability justified either selling it or modifying it.

If modifying, I'd try the SOL-D, which is guaranteed for 5 years/unlimited mileage. If this didn't solve the problem, I'd convert to mechanical fuel injection.

One thing I would not do is limp along with a vehicle I could not depend on, regardless of who's/what's at fault. Even if the NHTSA forced GM to provide some sort of remedy, it would be a long time in coming and would likely wind up being a "coupon" that could be used toward the purchase of a new vehicle. This is what happened with the 80's saddle tank class action suit.

MP

[ 10-29-2004, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: More Power ]