PDA

View Full Version : Tried PENNZOIL, Now Have Leak

DA BIG ONE
10-06-2004, 02:02
Been using Castrol like forever in my 6.5, have 96,000 miles, time came to change out oil and my usual stock was finished. So, off to WALMART and bought the PENNZOIL Long Life 15w40 for diesel.

Crisscrossed the state 3 times looking at properties. Get back home and find what I believe is my rear main leaking.

Only thing out of the ordinary was the trip through deep water, well deep for me anyway at 27". I took my time entering the water by riding the brake and going real, real slow.

I read something about PENNZOIL being a problem at one time, or is it, and my rear main leak is not uncommon at this milage?

I am thinking maybe CDV problem, or?

Any thoughts?

slagona
10-06-2004, 03:28
I was convinced that I had a rear main seal leak -but I didn't. Ended up being a small diesel leak from the rubber hose in the engine valley. Runs down the valley to rear of engine and commonly comes out the transmission's bell housing weep hole. Also seen near the starter, and many other places on the rear of the block.

Check your valley for signs of a fuel or oil leak.

--Scott

DA BIG ONE
10-06-2004, 08:22
Originally posted by slagona:
I was convinced that I had a rear main seal leak -but I didn't. Ended up being a small diesel leak from the rubber hose in the engine valley. Runs down the valley to rear of engine and commonly comes out the transmission's bell housing weep hole. Also seen near the starter, and many other places on the rear of the block.

Check your valley for signs of a fuel or oil leak.

--Scott Thanks, I'll do just that!

schamp
10-09-2004, 04:21
You might want to get rid of the Pennzoil. I would not use that stuff on a door hinge. Several reasons but the best is as follows. I took a BMW 320I to the BMW dealer to do some work and while there told them to change the oil. But to use the oil I supplied which was in the trunk. I picked it up a day or two later and the work order had a note on it that motor smoked. It had never smoked, ever before. I asked what they put in and they informed me it was Pennzoil. I had them change the oil and filter while I watched and when they restarted the engine no smoke, none period. May not have been very scientific but works for me. Not all CG 4 rated oils are the same. Just my thoughts.

DA BIG ONE
10-09-2004, 06:18
Originally posted by schamp:
You might want to get rid of the Pennzoil. I would not use that stuff on a door hinge. Several reasons but the best is as follows. I took a BMW 320I to the BMW dealer to do some work and while there told them to change the oil. But to use the oil I supplied which was in the trunk. I picked it up a day or two later and the work order had a note on it that motor smoked. It had never smoked, ever before. I asked what they put in and they informed me it was Pennzoil. I had them change the oil and filter while I watched and when they restarted the engine no smoke, none period. May not have been very scientific but works for me. Not all CG 4 rated oils are the same. Just my thoughts. I am going back to Castrol!