PDA

View Full Version : A trip to the emision testing station, Measured Opacity 0.0?

cruzer
02-25-2004, 14:00
Testing in southern Ohio.

I just recently had to get my truck tested. I was concerned because it was the first time after the rebuild and all the mods. I've had problems in the past too. Well, You are are allowed 20.0 units of Opacity, whatever that is. They tested the truck and my results were a reading 0.0 and blank %, which of course was a passing grade w/ the right testing equipment hooked up. Is this possible? I've always considered these test a tax and I think this confirms it.

When I first got the truck back in apprx 1995
it went in for the test and recieved a reading of 300 units,w/ no smoke & stk. This was a major failure. I then went down to the local stanydyne
shop and started asking questions about pump reboilds and injectors and low and be hold they were servicing IP's off new trucks because of failed tests. Later w/no repairs, I took it to another testing station they ran the test but were inexperienced w/ diesels and left the sniffer over by the door and put the gas sniffer in front of the exhaust, needless to say it passed w/0.0. A couple of yrs later it was tested and the person new what he was doing. It came back w/a reading of 300. The tester told me the truck would run terrible if at all w/that kind of reading. So they tested and retested and retested,etc, each time moving the sniffer further and further away. After no good results he and the mgr came up w/a reading of 20 after the were punching keys on the key board and no further testing. The next couple of yrs emisson testing was found to be bogus and the stations were closed for a while. Before this last test the truck passed at the max limit, which I think every diesel in the area did too.

Sorry for the long post but this stuff just urks me to no end. I'd complain to my representitive but they would try to correct the problem by actually trying to make this stuff work. IMHO, The EPA is the only gov agency which does not have to prove, or can prove, their programs have an effect.

[ 02-25-2004, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: cruzer ]

rjwest
02-25-2004, 15:29
Florida had emmissions testing in several city areas.
A few years back the EPA made a comment that they
were not sure that the tests were actually measuring what they were designed to test.

The Governor ( Jeb B. ) heard this and stopped all
emmissions testing!!!!!!!
NOW we have no inspections and NO emmisions tests.

Gotta love the man. OH i lost a cat somewhere.

VROOM VROOM

G. Gearloose
02-26-2004, 03:37
That sux..

My clapped-out/cranked-up 20 year old MFI banks rusty K5 has repedidly blown 0.0 on the CT threadmill.

The 20% limit that must be like a destroyer smoke-screen.

My '96 L56 typically gets 0.2%..go figgure :rolleyes: Guess which truck is more powerful, too..

Emissions guy says sez "wow, that engine's going to outlast the truck" i sez "It already has"!

C.K. Piquup
02-26-2004, 04:46
Opacity comes from the word opague.I dread the day my state starts testing diesels.State Troopers/DOT spot-check large trucks.Inconsistancey and inaccuracy are the sources of controversy around the nation.I feel MD`s testing is virtually a waste and most likely another racquet.You can gut the cat and pass,but it`s illegal to modify the exhaust from stock.In my case I wanted to run true-dual exhaust on my 350 equipped`90 Blazer.I couldn`t find a shop that wasn`t afraid to do it.Finally I did(in WV).I ran dual cats(full-flow).This system gave improved mileage and performance,ofcourse.Leaving all other emmision equipment intact,I`m sure it was putting out less pollution than factory(doesn`t burnt fuel create pollution?).