PDA

View Full Version : trans fluid

norm
02-03-2005, 16:20
What (auto) transmission fluid do you like to use?? (that will mix with standard-type)

I am still having what seems to be a muted chatter - prob converter when locked up. A friend with dodge installed new converter and admittedly ran "cheap" fluid. He was having this chatter, and when he called the maker of the converter they told him to change the fluid with a specific brand, and his trouble cleared up right away.

My problem seemed to show up just after my fluid was changed at a shop. (a weak moment on my part - they sold me on the flush type change, through a cooler line without dropping the pan) I regret it now. But I am wondering if I should drop the pan and do a change to a good fluid and was wondering what you all like to use. (castrol, etc.?)

Dvldog 8793
02-03-2005, 16:56
Howdy
1- Drop the pan
2- change the FILTER
3- Install a pan drain plug
4- install a bung for a temp sensor(pays to plan ahead)
5- Use Mobile 1 ATF or Amsoil ATF. Both great!
6- Run it for awhile and then drain the pan refill with Mobile or Amsoil.
Just my .02! hope it helps!
BTW- when I switched to synthetic it lowered my temps about 15-20*
Also many of these features are included in some of the new aluminum deep trans pans.
L8r
Conley

MikeC
02-03-2005, 17:53
Norm,

Do a search here for trans flush. It has you drop the pan, install new filter, fill with atf to full mark on stick, connect hose to trans outlet leading to a 5 gallon bucket with volume markings, fire up the truck, add fluid as old pumps out and finally stop when fluid goes from dark fluid to fresh fluid.

Check the stick and top off if needed.

This method flushes TC and basically swaps all old fluid for new.

Mike