PDA

View Full Version : Heath Max E Tork chip report.

Marty Lau
02-25-2004, 17:03
Okay about a month ago I did a number of things to my 95 6.5. This is about the Max E Tork chip I got from Heath and the Turbo Master waste gate controller. How do they work? In a word SWEEEET!
I added the Turbo Master before the chip and injectors, my boost was INOP prior to install because of leaking vacum line. So as soon as boost was back running about 9 PSI with stock chip no codes I had good power and mpg went back up.
Durring all the other things and adding the chip the truck was in my shop a couple of weeks. I did all my mods and changes and put Heaths Max E Tork chip in and fired it up and every thing ran good. Boost was at about 11 PSI and I left it there for awhile. I took my tour to the South West and was happy with they way the truck ran.
Well I did a 0-60 MPH time and with all the improvements the time was very close to pre chip and injectors ect. Didn't seem right so pick up the phone and called Bill Heath. Well after talking with Bill I did a couple of things. 1. I pulled a 5,000lb water trailer up a one mile aprox 6% grade the truck went right up to 55 mph in second I let up it shifted and kept pulling in 3rd to 60 when I backed off as EGT was at 1350 pre turbo. I did it again and simualar results eccept I back off bit sooner and didn't run up to 60 mpg to keep temps in line.
2. Next I put the EOM chip in and did the same thing. This time the truck did get up to 55 mph but took an extra 1/2 mile to get there boost at about 9+ PSI and SES starts blinking....... I back out of it a bit to force shift to 3rd the speed starts to slide from 55 mph and after about 5-7 seconds in 3rd the EGT hits 1200 and SES comes on full and the the 'puter starts removing fuel down comes the EGT and the speed and shifts back in second. I limp on home change back to the Heath chip and check the codes and clear them. Next day I give the full report to Bill Heath. He tells me you need MORE BOOST crank it to 13-14 PSI at 24-2500 RPM at WOT. So I do it and go get a load of water. I go down and pull that same hill again this time she again gets right up to 55 mph I force the shift to 3rd and up to 60mph and still pulling and EGT running at 1200-1250. I back off to maintain 60 mph (15 mph over the limit) and she purs up the rest of the hill with temps falling.
This chip holds fuel right up to redline RPM and I have had no codes since I have added it. Nice firm shifts at good points and the truck pulls right up to 100+ mph (empty)right nice and no more speed limiter :cool: . Old chip 97mph and NO MORE. I had to swap back to the OEM to really get the point. Oh yeah Bill sent me a replacement just to be sure it was as it was suppose to be, I told him not to bother but he insisted. (shipped him the first one back) Also the boost change just from 11psi to 13-14 psi made a about 150 degrees in EGT. I think I'm getting real good pull for a high mileage 3.42 rear ratio 6.5 L56. I want to run against a Cummins so bad! ;)
I feel that the $320 Bill wants for the Max E Tork and TurboMaster is a good value and now I wish I would have done it couple of years sooner!

I hope somneone finds this of some use or help.

gwaidman
02-25-2004, 17:41
Sounds great! I will be adding these items and an exhaust in the near future and hope to have results like yours. What is the mileage on your rig? How was fuel consumption affected?

Cheers!

Marty Lau
02-25-2004, 17:50
when your in it the fuel consumtion goes up....more power more fuel, but just driving around I still get good milage, problem is with more power I like to USE IT!!! I got 160,000 miles on the mighty Chevy.

Jim P
02-25-2004, 18:59
16ga SxS,

Just out of curiosity, what code was causing the ses light to come on during the pull?

Marty Lau
02-26-2004, 08:53
two codes 47 High intake air temp sensor (high temp)
and then 78 Tubo wastegate Solenode fault
might be wrong as it's from memory.

gmctd
03-22-2004, 13:17
Suggestion, 16ga -

That #47 indicates the next step will be a charge-air cooler - back the boost down some, and grin-and-bear-it till you can get one installed.

You should check with BH first, but at those boost levels, IAT gets over 200deg really quick.
And, it's nowhere near summertime, yet.

You will get more power with less boost from low temp charge air. Fact.

Been playing with mine all winter - sure feels sluggish at 200deg, compared to 70- to 100deg AIT.

Almost fergot - good report, good info.

DOG
03-24-2004, 06:50
sounds like oem chip was installed with the turbomaster?this is what caused the SES light to come on,for both codes

Marty Lau
03-24-2004, 13:09
Originally posted by DOG:
sounds like oem chip was installed with the turbomaster?this is what caused the SES light to come on,for both codes Right DOG I put the OEM chip back in for a comparision, went back to the MaxETork and cleared the codes and no more code and great power, I love this truck when it has guts!

Yeah JD Bill said run it at 13PSI at 2400rpm and full power. I been think of getting the Heath water injection, Bill said it would make me even happier. (More Power)