PDA

View Full Version : which way to rotate injection pump

Govt issue
10-07-2004, 08:13
I have been ridding down the road twisting my injection pump. when i go towards the passanger side, i fill i have more cruise power about 85 mph lite throttle. when i go towards the driver side it feels like i have more bottom end, almost like it delays shift pattern. feels like it could pull harder from a stop towards the driver side. I thought i had it set but i like the cruise resopnce at higher speeds of the passanger side. any thoughts? Which way is for more power? any dyno, because it may just be delaying shift pattern. Thanks.

Turbine Doc
10-07-2004, 12:00
GI,

Update your sig line so we know what ride you have, I'm in Gautier and have a scanner and IP turning wrenches, we can do your time set, I've done it multiple times on my 98 OBDII, never done it on OBD I, from my 98 manual if time avg is above 3.5 deg rotate toward pass side, below 3.5 rotate toward drivers side. This reading is taken during time set command with a scanner.

I don't think you are doing anything without the time set command, on OBD II, OBD I; I'll defer to what others recommend, as how to set timing.

Also TDC offset and time set are 2 different things, time 1st then offset.

Govt issue
10-08-2004, 07:46
i WENT AND BORROWED A TECH 2. i SET THE TIMING AT ABOUT 3.5 IT BOUNCED AROUND ALOT. 96 K2500
i LOOKED FOR THE TDC SET AND COULD NOT FIND IT .
IS IT UNDER SPECIAL FUNCTIONS THEN INJECTION?
ALL THAT IS IN MINE IS TIMING SET AND STALL TEST.
tHE TRUCK RUNS ALOT BETTER WITH THE TIMING SET. i WOULD LIKE TO SET THE TDC TO 1.94 ANY HELP?

Turbine Doc
10-08-2004, 13:34
GI never used a T2 myself, hopefully someone with T2 background will weigh in.

Here is how I did it on my 98 using a MT2500 Snap On scanner

Should work on yours down toward the bottom is how you can initiate the TDC learn using key on/key off method APP to the floor.

Cut and pasted from and old pre Sep 2003 post

Timing is best set with a tech 2, that said it can be done on a 98 & 99 for sure without T2, as I've done it myself several times using just a Snap-On MT2500, I've done it only on those 2 years which are theft deterrent equipped systems.

What I don't know is if this works for all OBD2 PCMs or just the ones with theft deterrent. It is for this reason I've not posted what worked for me in detail.

That said, for the general population, what follows is what is in the manual for my year model truck and is paraphrased for simplicity.

From what I read there are 2 different routines 1st is setting timing following pump replacement, this one requires a 2 directional scan tool, start engine bring to normal Op temp 170F or > coolant temp, use time set command to command timing desired to 0 deg, actual timing should read 3.5 deg on avg.

MARK IP BEFORE MAKING ANY ADJUSTMENT SO YOU CAN GO BACK TO WHERE YOU STARTED IF NEED BE. Also (1) mm rotation roughly a scribe line width = 2 deg. timing change, make small moves.

If above 3.5 avg., shut down engine, loosen mounting nuts and rotate pump toward pass side, if below 3.5 rotate toward drivers. These are hard to get at I moved the AC compressor off of it's mount hoses still connected to get better access, also I don't think you can access them without making a custom wrench or buying the Snap-On set which I did. IP turning wrench is also an asset. Continue this until 3.5 avg. is satisfied.

Best as I can figure this is the base timing, once out of time set commanded to 0; the computer commands where the timing needs to be. Can be greater than 3.5 avg seen in time set command mode.

The next procedure is the TDC offset which can be done independent of time set, and can be done with just a reader that displays TDC offset reading. Nothing in the manual directs that both be done at same time, but I did the time set before doing TDC offset just to see if I was in the correct ball park.

Same as above bring engine to coolant temp 170 or above, see that all codes are clear (clear codes before proceeding).

Shut off engine, then turn key to run not start and accelerator to floor minimum 45 sec,(this activates TDC learn), then key off 30 sec.

Restart truck if coolant is above 170 and rpm below 1500 PCM automatically relearns offset, may stumble on start 1st run until new offset is accepted.

If you want TDC to go more negative(-), shutdown truck as before and rotate pump toward driver side, if you want a more (+) offset go toward pass side, same (1) mm =2 deg be frugal with adjustment.

Bolt all down do key on key off routine pedal to floor as before, and restart to do learn, and repeat until at desired TDC offset.

As you can see, some trial and error this way so the T2 is the way to go; JK says it's a set and forget with that tool, but since I don't have access to one this is what worked for me, I've got more time than money.

You have to be on top of your game this way also, don't get too agressive and should have no problems,

All else fails, go back to original mark, and relearn that setting. If you want to talk more about it get with MP to set up off page contact. I'm not claiming this will work for all, but it did work for me.

Turbine Doc
10-08-2004, 14:12
Originally posted by Govt issue:
i WENT AND BORROWED A TECH 2. i SET THE TIMING AT ABOUT 3.5 IT BOUNCED AROUND ALOT. 96 K2500
i LOOKED FOR THE TDC SET AND COULD NOT FIND IT .
IS IT UNDER SPECIAL FUNCTIONS THEN INJECTION?
ALL THAT IS IN MINE IS TIMING SET AND STALL TEST.
tHE TRUCK RUNS ALOT BETTER WITH THE TIMING SET. i WOULD LIKE TO SET THE TDC TO 1.94 ANY HELP? GI how many miles on your truck and when on scanner out of time set; normal idling what are the actual and desired timing readings.

DmaxMaverick
06-15-2008, 14:26
TTT for Joe Bleaux